Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Air suspension

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Groken

Air suspension

Post by Groken » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:00 pm

Just a heads up, few weeks ago I found the car sitting on its ass so got new pair of springs from ebay, cheap stuff, and it didn't fix it it remained pretty much unchanged. I took me a while to get some time to inspect it properly since then and today I've found that new bags are leaking at seals so ordered Arnott ones from Autodoc at £140 each. Guess its a bit of pot luck with cheap stuff.

marti

Re: Air suspension

Post by marti » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:41 pm

Never go cheap...false economy...after all BMW's are not cheap cars!

Groken

Post by Groken » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:10 pm

My labour is free, so wasn't too concerned if it lasted a year or two but leaking from the box was a bit too much, I've had enough BMW and worked on a lot more, I'm well aware off the cost off ownership. ;) ;) ;)
Last edited by Groken on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NehalX5

Post by NehalX5 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:29 pm

Complex system, so got BMW to change both bags, each of which went at different times. Always something to be careful of. Found that either Arnott or OEM is the way to go. Not sure myself but think the OEM ones are Arnott made anyway, as Arnott air suspension is on just about anything.
BMW E70 X5 3.0sd | M-Sport | 7 Seats
Audi A6 C6 3.0TFSI Quattro S-Line tiptronic
Citroën C1 1.0 VTR
BMW E39 528i SE Manual

Groken

Post by Groken » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:02 pm

System is simple actuly, compressor to valve and valve to left and right bag. What trough me off was new bags, I didn't test them after fitting as they were new. Anyway fitted Arnott today so can't wait to see it in the morning.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:59 pm

[quote="Groken"]
Just a heads up, few weeks ago I found the car sitting on its ass so got new pair of springs from ebay, cheap stuff, and it didn't fix it it remained pretty much unchanged. I took me a while to get some time to inspect it properly since then and today I've found that new bags are leaking at seals so ordered Arnott ones from Autodoc at £140 each. Guess its a bit of pot luck with cheap stuff.
[/quote]
I’ve seen car I like but from photos it looks the rear tyre is closer to the arch than the fronts. Is that due to staggered setup or is the rear air suspension gone. How do you know if the suspension or airbags are faulty when you test drive car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marti

Post by marti » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:32 pm

[quote="AdamsX5"]
[quote="Groken"]
[/quote]
I’ve seen car I like but from photos it looks the rear tyre is closer to the arch than the fronts. Is that due to staggered setup or is the rear air suspension gone. How do you know if the suspension or airbags are faulty when you test drive car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Front do have a larger gap from top of wheel to arch, most 4x4's do....if there is a serious failure the dash will light up like a Christmas tree :o