Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Radio = Battery

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Reedster

Radio = Battery

Post by Reedster » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:39 pm

Driving along the radio lost all stations. CD, Sat nav all working OK ???????
Had a look on here and Google the problem giving possible battery problem. I tested the battery with a tester and it was showing only half charge. Off to battery centre who tested it in more depth showing a similar problem and the voltage was dropping as we were looking at the meter. Which battery, ah it has to be the expensive one ........... sods law !!!! New battery fitted at a good discounted price which gave an error DSC and 4x4 fail please check. No problem as it auto resets after you drive a little bit. All radio stations working as well as everything else ok. I did notice a slightly better MPG also from 27.9 to 30.4, possibly due to new battery ???? Anyway happy motoring again.  :)

Huxsta

Re: Radio = Battery

Post by Huxsta » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:48 pm

Off topic a bit, but I changed my battery in my sprinter van late last year and mpg on a regular run I do, it went from 28.5mpg ave to 33+ the very next day driving absolutely no different as I’ve done that boring same journey 5 days a week for over 4 yrs. I could only think what with everything being electronic these days, something was not getting the full 12v required. So very plausible to me!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Radio = Battery

Post by X5Sport » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:55 pm

If the battery is not holding a charge then the alternator has to work harder.  That means more ‘load’ on the engine.  More load = more engine drag = lower mpg.

Shiny new battery = happy alternator = less drag on the engine = happy owner (once you’ve paid for the expensive battery that is  >:( )
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.