Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parking brake.

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
AdamsX5

Parking brake.

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:25 pm

I have a F10 and when I put it into park it sets it and then I shut off engine.
However when I shut the E70 the car jolts forward as if it just remembered to but brake on. This has only happened when I’m on my inclined drive when the car is facing upwards when I reverse park it in then set parking brake on lever.Not tried on flat level but I’m sure it just happens on incline

At the same time the steering wheel starts to go down etc which is nice but the jolts starts when I press the key to shut everything and remove key.
Is that normal ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by AdamsX5 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Parking brake.

Post by CondorX5 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:31 am

Mine has sometimes done that too, but the brake seems fine.  I kbow they are an expensive pain to sort out when they go wrong, though, and can render the car undriveable. 
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:02 am

[quote="CondorX5"]
Mine has sometimes done that too, but the brake seems fine.  I kbow they are an expensive pain to sort out when they go wrong, though, and can render the car undriveable.
[/quote]
Hope it’s not the parking brake on it’s way out as I’ve just bought the car. Will see if it does this on flat surface. Surely when you remove key it should stay stationary and apply the brake.

Digidick

Post by Digidick » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:24 am

[quote="AdamsX5"]
[quote="CondorX5"]
[/quote]
Hope it’s not the parking brake on it’s way out as I’ve just bought the car. Will see if it does this on flat surface. Surely when you remove key it should stay stationary and apply the brake.

[/quote]

It doesn’t apply the brake for you does it, that’s up to you to do that bit.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:44 pm

[quote="Digidick"]
[quote="AdamsX5"]
[quote="CondorX5"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

It doesn’t apply the brake for you does it, that’s up to you to do that bit.

[/quote]
I’m referring to the parking brake on the gear lever. When I shut engine off it jolts forward. The button parking brake is already applied. It’s as if the parking brake doesn’t work and the gear lever one jumps in to halt car.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:46 pm

Park first, then parking brake otherwise you are having to unload the transmission.  Worth a check to see if that stops it.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.