Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering Noises

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
devm69_x5

Steering Noises

Post by devm69_x5 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi All,

new to the site and new to driving X5's, had many 5 series and still have one atm but bought an old E70 2010 3.DXDRIVE MSport a few months back, I 1st hit the air suspension issue where the last owner had put in a oem air bag which every day went down, so replaced with latest airnott and been good since. In the last few days I have started to get a noise when turning the steering even when parked, its like a creaking under strain type noise as I go full lock left to right, its more noisy when full lock on the right hand side but hear it most of the time I turn the wheel. I have checked the power steering fluid which looks ok and checked for any leaks which I cant see, seen lots of different threads on forums about various possible components being the culprit but was wondering if this was maybe a common issue or if a few people had the same. Car is close to having 100k miles and im unsure of full service history done apart from what I have and MOT history, which does have the below advisorys from last one. but didn't think would be related.

•Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint has slight play (5.3.4 (a) (i))
•Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint has slight play (5.3.4 (a) (i))

any info/ advice very welcome

oh and glad to have joined this forum :)

aruek

Re: Steering Noises

Post by aruek » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:26 pm

Hello and welcome. Mine is a 2011 E70. I believe same issue here. It is related to the crossmember stiffener plate. In my case I haven't been able to complete get rid of it. Mechanic remove it and tested noise gone. Installed back on with rubber whashers... Noise went away for some kms then came back. Although we used the same bolts, my understanding is that new bolt should be used each time removed since they are one time use due to stretching during installation. (Designed thst way). I don't know if that will fix the noide really.

devm69_x5

Post by devm69_x5 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:37 pm

aruek wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:26 pm Hello and welcome. Mine is a 2011 E70. I believe same issue here. It is related to the crossmember stiffener plate. In my case I haven't been able to complete get rid of it. Mechanic remove it and tested noise gone. Installed back on with rubber whashers... Noise went away for some kms then came back. Although we used the same bolts, my understanding is that new bolt should be used each time removed since they are one time use due to stretching during installation. (Designed thst way). I don't know if that will fix the noide really.
Thanks- had a thought about the chassis brace or the possible washers underneath. I will have a go at that next. how easy is it do you know getting into it ? see a plastic cover blocking the access to the nuts at each end

aruek

Post by aruek » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:43 pm

I can't tell I didn't do it myself. Sorry.

devm69_x5

Post by devm69_x5 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:44 pm

just to let anyone know- found out what the issue was.
drivers side suspension drop link was gone- new installed and all good.