Serious sounding problem with engine

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E70).
asoni

Serious sounding problem with engine

Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:02 pm

Hi guys, have a 40d with around 96k on the clock.

The other day my brother was driving when the engine suddenly started making this horrible noise:

https://youtu.be/LTdWVaXxHN0

It's definitely coming from the engine. He had no choice but to carry on driving the last few miles home but said he couldn't feel any difference in how the car was driving, and no warning lights were on.

Any ideas? I know it's hard to diagnose from an audio clip but just on the off chance.

Also, i have a pretty comprehensive warranty with warranty direct but just realised i have gone over the 12k annual mileage! Anyone have experience of claiming in such circumstance? I know these companies do anything to get out of paying so not holding my breath.
asoni

Re: Serious sounding problem with engine

Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:11 pm

Just noticed this video with very similar noise to mine, comment below suggest big end bearings :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tRbg_pBpPQ
marti

Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:05 pm

Well sounds more like camshaft too me......do you have any smoke out the rear???...
marti

Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:07 pm

Well sounds more like camshaft too me......do you have any smoke out the rear???...whats the oil level like....cant see why you have this if serviced as should be??
asoni

Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:11 pm

Yes been serviced as it should, last oil change was done in april and done around 10k miles since then.

Haven't checked rear for smoke but when i turned engine on today and removed oil cap, i did notice smoke or steam coming out.

At the moment, the suggestions are bearings, camshaft or timing chain.

I'm assuming all of these are pretty expensive fixes?
Leslie

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:17 pm

Best not turning it on or driving it any further, get it recovered to a garage for a proper diagnosis as you will possibly cause worse / more expensive damage. I think big ends is unlikely as its being serviced and assuming there is still plenty of oil in the engine . Id expect the oil light to be on too due to low oil pressure.

That second clip didn't really sound like big ends either as seems a bit too slow a knocking ,more a cam /tappet issue (IMO) but could be anything really best get it checked out asap.
asoni

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:27 pm

Thanks for the advice, will get it checked out as soon as the garages reopen!

Return to “Problems”