Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New to me E70 LCI 2011 - Problems?

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Pedro C

Re: New to me E70 LCI 2011 - Problems?

Post by Pedro C » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:58 pm

Huxley06 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:16 pm As your new to the e70 and you have the same tyre &wheel sizes as my 4.0d, a little tip. When we got ours the outer fronts were more worn and the inner rears were more worn. After a few sets of Dunlop’s I have come to the pressures of 39psi all round. This has totally eliminated edge wear front and rear. What with the tyres being run flats, I can’t say it’s any harsher to drive either. ......just my opinion!
How did you arrive at 39psi?

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:52 pm

I changed the transfer box fluid today and all seemed well with no 4x4 errors showing and no judder/tyre scrubbing....or so I thought. Took the car for a drive of around 20 miles and all seemed well. I even did a number of tight slow speed turns as this is when the fault seemed to manifest itself, still fine. It was when I parked at the house the error came on again. One thing I did notice when the 4x4 and dsc fault was showing on idrive was, that the indicators do not self-cancel. I cannot see the connection here?

I have ordered a carly dongle so will scan the car for errors as it got me thinking that maybe the steering angle sensor is causing the fault that I thought was the transfer box.....I may be way off the mark here but just cant see the connection between the indicators not self cancelling when the 4x4 and dsc fault showing.

Pedro C

Post by Pedro C » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:10 pm

Did you reset the transfer box adaptations? Apparently that needs doing after the fluid change. Did you find the fluid change easy?

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:17 am

No I havent reset the transfer box adaptations as yet as waiting on delivery of the Carly obd dongle.

As for changing the fluid, access is very tight and requies a low profile 14mm allen plug key with a spanner, unless you remove the transfer box support bracket. The fill plug is espescially tight for space and it took me a while.

The other issue was, once the fill plug is removed, the aperture for filling with the fluid is actually quite small, you cant see but only feel with your finger and required a very thin tube attached to a syringe. Its like the upper half of the hole had a metal baffle making inserting a tube difficult.

When drained I measured about 600ml of old fluid which was black. The new fluid was straw coloured and it took the same 600ml before it started leaking out the fill plug hole. It is supposed to hold around 900ml so I can only assume that the contents did not completely empty.

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:12 pm

A quick update. I am still awaiting my Carly dongle but used my basic code reader to scan the DSC module and it showed the following:

5F13 brake pad wear - rear axle brake pads
00, 01,6E, C4 no found
94B7 steering angle sensor - signal implausable

Anyone familiar with any of these on their X5 as I am begining to wonder if the transfer box is at fault here?

Pedro C

Post by Pedro C » Wed May 01, 2019 7:49 am

Hi can’t help with you codes Angry man, but I can tell you I had Hunter wheel alignment done yesterday.

I thought the car drove pretty well for a bus, but after the alignment was done it drives more catlike now than buslike.

The juddering seems to have lessened also. I don’t think it’s completely gone though.

It will be interesting tinder what difference the fluid change makes.

Keep us posted when. You receive the Carly. I’ve been thinking of purchasing one of those too.

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Thu May 02, 2019 6:03 pm

I had the hunter wheel alignment done a few weeks ago but to be honest it wasnt out much.

My Carly adapter arrived today it gave the following codes suggesting steering angle sensor issue.

Dynamische Stabilitaets Kontrolle / DSC
Fault Code: 006EC4
Fault Explanation: :Steering angle sensor: steering angle signal only
relative. Center position unknown. Learning Quadrant active. directing
the stop / Steering angle sensor: Status error. Steering angle signal
invalid or steering angle signal only relative. Center position unknown.
Learning Quadrant active. directing the stop / Steering angle sensor:
steering angle signal only relative, wheel center position unknown,
learning Quadrant --- (DSC: steering angle sensor adjustment)
Fault Code: 0094B5
Fault Explanation: :F-CAN SZL steering angle sensor: Sensor error -
Illegal code. / F-CAN SZL steering angle sensor: Sensor error - Illegal
code --- (DSC: steering column switch cluster: internal error) / SSL:
Error entry for SSL: LWS error: Illegal Code

Transmission / Getriebesteuerung
Fault Code: 00CF80
Fault Explanation: :Signal from the DSC: target torque requirement
Fault Code: 005224
Fault Explanation: :VTG: Oelverschleiss

Satellite center / Mitte
Fault Code: 00CC97
Fault Explanation: :Embassy (steering wheel angle, C4)

I am trying to get some details from the net, but if anyone is familiar with this stuff feel free to pitch in :roll:

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Thu May 02, 2019 7:59 pm

Looks like the SAS needs changing. The SAS is part of the DSC system, and is a common culprit for putting the 4x4 light on
Hence when you disconnect the battery, / or flat battery. The SAS looses its calibration, and you then get the 4x4 light on
Tho remedy this you have to roll the car forward and turn the steering lock to lock to calibrate the SAS, then the light goes out
If it's shot, the calibration won't work, as it can't determine where the steering wheel/ angle is
A new SAS will need coding via INPA or equivalent.
Possible as a DIY, if you have the software , but not with Carly.
Also The SAS is used in the cancellation of the indicators as it knows when you have turned the corner, if it's not working, the indicators won't cancel
I would get it to an indie or dealers. ( personally)

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Thu May 02, 2019 10:52 pm

Thanks for that Horizon, I will call a local indie in the morning.

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Sat May 04, 2019 10:57 am

Quick update, I took the car to a local indie who checked it over and agreed that it was just the steering angle sensor requiring to be calibrated. He said this often needs doing after wheel alignment has been altered. He was very reasonable and took me at short notice as I am driving to Plymouth on Thursday morning....a journey I am not looking forward to :driving:

Sorry Pedro for hijacking your thread but just thought it may be beneficial to others in the future searching this issue.

Pedro C

Post by Pedro C » Mon May 06, 2019 10:03 am

mr angry wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:57 am

Sorry Pedro for hijacking your thread but just thought it may be beneficial to others in the future searching this issue.
No worries fella. Keep us posted when you get a fix. :thumbsup:

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Mon May 06, 2019 10:05 am

Well I thought having the steering angle sensor calibrated by the indy fixed it....but no it still comes on, more often when on hard lock when parking so I think a new unit is required.

Pedro C

Post by Pedro C » Mon May 06, 2019 12:17 pm

Did you get the TC adaptations reset in the end? If not, might be worth doing that before you couch up for a new box.

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Mon May 06, 2019 12:52 pm

Pedro C wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:17 pm Did you get the TC adaptations reset in the end? If not, might be worth doing that before you couch up for a new box.
I tried searching within the Carly app but could see no mention anywhere on how to

Pedro C

Post by Pedro C » Mon May 06, 2019 1:47 pm

I think that’s a dealer/indie job. Need Autologic or BMW ISTANBUL software. Apparently it should be done when changing the fluid.

I’m going to insist it’s done when getting my fluid changed at the end of the month.