Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Swirl Flaps leaking. Blanking and DPF effects?

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Wipeout

Swirl Flaps leaking. Blanking and DPF effects?

Post by Wipeout » Wed May 22, 2019 8:34 am

Hi all,

I'm suffering from weeping oil residue from the swirl flaps on my M57/TU2 and have been researching blanking them off but there are reports that it makes the DPF work harder, in some reports up to 2 or 3 times more frequent regens with blanks fitted, is this a genuine side effect of blanking them off?

cheers
Chris

marti

Re: Swirl Flaps leaking. Blanking and DPF effects?

Post by marti » Thu May 23, 2019 5:43 pm

Never heard of that one before...mine have been blanked for approx 1 1/2yrs with no bad effects.....

Wipeout

Post by Wipeout » Sun May 26, 2019 7:45 pm

Do you keep an eye on regens? I get around 250-500 miles between them depending on driving mode (town/motorway). This is what other people have reported until blanking the flaps, then they’ve seen a drop to below 100 miles between regens and refitting the flaps makes it jump back up.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon May 27, 2019 8:26 am

Our E46 is noticeably smokier at near full throttle now the flaps have been removed. It doesn’t have a DPF but I can well believe that the regen cycles would need to be more often given that evidence,

It hasn’t failed an MOT (yet) on emissions, but the figures have gone up.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

marti

Post by marti » Mon May 27, 2019 6:26 pm

X5Sport wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:26 am Our E46 is noticeably smokier at near full throttle now the flaps have been removed. It doesn’t have a DPF but I can well believe that the regen cycles would need to be more often given that evidence,

It hasn’t failed an MOT (yet) on emissions, but the figures have gone up.
Cant see why its more smokier near full throttle as swirl flaps are only active at tick over....

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon May 27, 2019 6:42 pm

Hmm. OK needs more investigation then. It doesn’t spend a lot of time idling so it’s not soot from that, and the economy is fine. Time to have a look at the intake side and filters etc. Could be over-fuelling as it ‘spools up’ or a sooty MAF/EGR trunk, Odd that it only started when the flaps were removed, but that could just be coincidence. :)

marti

Post by marti » Wed May 29, 2019 5:04 pm

X5Sport wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:42 pm Hmm. OK needs more investigation then. It doesn’t spend a lot of time idling so it’s not soot from that, and the economy is fine. Time to have a look at the intake side and filters etc. Could be over-fuelling as it ‘spools up’ or a sooty MAF/EGR trunk, Odd that it only started when the flaps were removed, but that could just be coincidence. :)
Short journeys dont help...also my old e53 didn't have swirl flaps, when I floored it would bellow a black cloud out the rear this was due to an injector gone bad, I also changed the engine breather filter and main thermostat as the engine wasn't getting up to operating temp and all was sorted.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed May 29, 2019 6:43 pm

Right then.....more jobs in my ‘task list’ :?