Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2011 e70 4.0d oil change advice please

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Huxley06

2011 e70 4.0d oil change advice please

Post by Huxley06 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:46 pm

Right this afternoon I changed the oil filter and oil. I used the suction method using the dipstick hole (rightly or wrongly).... Anyway, on topping up I put in 4 litres, then another 2 litres and checked the dipstick. It said about max but looking at the I drive, it’s over full. (The I-drive previously said correct level with the old oil and was green/max) so I pulled out some oil thinking I put in too much and now I have a minimum level on the dipstick, but still over full on the I-drive and lights up orange. Any thoughts?

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: 2011 e70 4.0d oil change advice please

Post by Leslie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:46 pm

Is the car on level ground as this can make a difference ? A quick google says 7.2 litres for a 40d so you maybe didn't get it all out

Huxley06

Post by Huxley06 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:56 pm

All sorted now. I drained some more out listening to the I drive and even with the dipstick showing mínimum the IDrive still stated too much. I then went old school and only trusted what I could physically see (the dipstick) and put in more until just under the max mark. Knowing that I was just shy of max level I took it for a drive, warming it up slowly then into a spirited back road drive. The I Drive now says normal max level and is green.
Looking back (maybe with hindsight) I should have realised that pouring new cold oil in, WILL give the electronics a different level to what the dipstick says. A bit of googling afterwards does throw up that the oil does need warming up to give a more accurate reading.
Who says after 30yrs of doing my own brakes and fluid/filters, your never too old to learn ! !

marti

Post by marti » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:20 am

Same thing happened to me!...electronics for you.... :roll: