Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electric swivel towbar

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
mr angry

Electric swivel towbar

Post by mr angry » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:04 pm

I bought a used e70 electric swivel towbar a number of months ago from a guy on ebay. It came complete with wiring harness and module for trailer lights. I also had to purchase a separate control module for the towbar motor itself.

Anyway, I fitted the unit back in April and wired as per the instructions supplied. The issue I have is that the motor doesn't move and the button in the boot which is supposed to illuminate does not. I have checked and power is going into the module controlling the towbar motor but none coming out. Does anyone know whether this is likely to be the module or the fact that it has not been coded to the car?

mr angry

Re: Electric swivel towbar

Post by mr angry » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:04 pm

Can anyone who has a swivel towbar on an e70 lci please take a photo of the module for the towbar they have, just so that I can eliminate the possibility that I may have the wrong one?

moggyboy

Re: Electric swivel towbar

Post by moggyboy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:43 pm

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/83205-swi ... try1168642

If this link still works you might find something in the pages and pages of posts but be warned it is quite a saga.
I'm no expert but my money would be on coding although it does make sense to double check that the module is the correct one.
Sorry I can't be more help.