Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

SOS Warning

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Andy Collings

SOS Warning

Post by Andy Collings » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:49 pm

Hi got a new fault with my X5 E70 4.8 M Sport. Got a SOS warning with the dagger through it. Cleared it with diagnostics tool but it comes back while driving a short distance. Fault code is A36C, says no GPS signal. Go into Nav menu and it is showing car position even on move. Did a reset using volume and eject button as seen on forums / you tube. Keeps coming back. Any one had same issue or any idea's ?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: SOS Warning

Post by X5Sport » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:43 pm

Telematics may have its own GPS receiver and that’s futzed. Apart from that all I can suggest is it isn’t getting the data from the iDrive if there is a common GPS signal distributed from there.

Given that the SOS system is (as far as I know) separated from the other on board systems (so it still works after an accident causing the main power feed to be guillotined), it could be that module has gone on holiday!

BMW used to have a system that fired a small explosive charge to kill main power if the airbags deployed leaving small lower consumption link for not much other than hazard lights and SOS system live only.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Andy Collings

Re: SOS Warning

Post by Andy Collings » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:25 am

Thanks for reply, will look into it and post fix if I find it.