Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parking Brake Failure

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Churchfield

Parking Brake Failure

Post by Churchfield » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:18 pm

Had my car 2 weeks today and first issue has come up...

Parked up to go for a walk and as we were getting things out the boot there was a loud screeching from the back of the car that lasted for 2- 3 seconds. Thought nothing more of it until came to drive off again and the Parking Brake Failure came up with an orange light. I had to manually release the parking brake in the boot.

1 minute down the road I got a Level Control System Failure. Drove home for 5 minutes and all felt normal, a bit difficult to tell as roads so wet today.

I have since been for a 30 minute drive and still have the Parking Brake failure, no longer see anything about Level Control System though.

Going to call the (independent) dealer in the morning as believe this is something they should look at being only 2 weeks since I purchased.

Looks like this is a common problem!

James

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Parking Brake Failure

Post by Leslie » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:47 am

Parking brakes are very expensive new but I've seen the motors for sale on ebay and I suspect the level control is a lack of air pressure for the rear suspension due to leaks or a worn compressor.

Churchfield

Post by Churchfield » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:40 pm

Thanks Leslie, not great! Dealer I bought from is going to look at it for me. He was nice and polite so far.

First time I have had the level control come up, hoping that it was triggered by the parking brake issue and will not be a problem. Have driven since and it has not come up again.

For parking brake, checked the fuses and unhooked the battery for 20 mins, fault is still there so suspect the worst.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:49 pm

By ‘very expensive’ he means the thick end of a grand from a Stealer! There are a few videos on Ytube about fixes. It can be done though.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:51 pm

Ouch ! I see people advertising a repair service on Ebay for a more reasonable £180 so it needn't be that costly but if its only sold by a dealer 2 weeks ago that will be their issue I hope !

Churchfield

Post by Churchfield » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:30 pm

A bit of an update, took my car back to the dealer and they have reset the faults through software and have driven it without being able to replicate the problem again. Should I be skeptical about this? I did read somewhere that the 2007 X5 had potential software faults with the parking brake.

Thank you for advice.
James