Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DAB no/low sound output

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
JF1980

DAB no/low sound output

Post by JF1980 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:34 pm

So I went out today and initially it seemed like the radio wasn't working, then I worked out that if I turned the volume up to max I could just about hear something, then narrowed it down to just a DAB issue. FM radio and other audio sources acting normally. Was working fine yesterday...

Any ideas before I go through the hassle of getting OBD software setup to look for errors?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: DAB no/low sound output

Post by X5Sport » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:56 am

All DAB stations? Try a retune in case the local multiplex has changed, gone faulty, or is undergoing engineering work. With DAB it either works or doesn’t (same as digital TV). It could also be a DAB receiver fault giving low output to the audio amp (or a bad wire).

I would be surprised if that sort of fault showed up on any of the code readers but it might be worth a try. The error systems aren’t usually that inclusive - or detailed in my experience.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

JF1980

Post by JF1980 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:51 am

I guess I'll need to have a dig around and find the DAB tuner module to see whether something has come loose. I don't think it's the DAB transmission as I was at least 30 miles away yesterday and the issue persisted. Not sure it's possible ot force a rescan from what I have read it's automatic and I can find no options to initiate one.

Weird all the HD channels have vanished from one of my TVs this morning and won't come back with a retune. Bedroom TV still receiving them. Freeview site doesn't show any engineering work in the area. Very odd.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:39 pm

Page 189 of the manual.....

Station Search

Radio > DAB > All Ensembles > Station Search.

It should be automatic if you have Pro Nav, but!

There is some retuning going on with the TV channels, but loss of HD often signifies low signal level or engineering (which could be emergency) works. Intriguing that it’s both services.

JF1980

Post by JF1980 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:23 pm

Well, went out earlier and DAB is now working again - there's no retune/search option. Came home and rescanned on the TV to find HD channels have returned on different frequencies as all the favourites have dropped. Clearly they've had some issues and/or planned maintenance work going on that's not been reported on the service status checker. Kind of defeats the point. I guess like most IT providers they just use that tool to cheat with their SLA reporting.

Odd that the bedroom TV (which only uses a portable antenna not the main one on the roof) had no loss of service.

Oh well at least it isn't something else that's broken on the car. Second comfort access handle failed, another £400 bonus for BMW. They don't make these cars to last anymore - don't think I'll be buying another BMW.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:05 pm

Glad that whatever it was isn’t an issue any more.... :)

BMW themselves only regard the ‘life’ of a vehicle as three years - the warranty period - and I have noticed today when buying a new shaver that the manufacturer states its service life as being just 7 years. My first one lasted 20! When its battery failed it was replaceable. Sadly the one I’m now replacing needs special tools and a battery I cannot find in the RS or Farnell catalogues. It seems we are in a throwaway society with things just not built to last any more. :x

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:33 am

It looks as if both DAB and Freeview services around the southern and eastern UK may also be being affected by a thermal inversion layer (the weather!) causing disruption to signal propagation. Signals from transmitters above the layer are reflecting off the top of the layer and in some areas much weaker signal levels than normal are getting through to mere mortals below the layer.

This phenomenon is usually a summer problem in the UK however it seems we’ll have it across parts of the UK for the next several days. It can also be highly frequency band specific - hence HD channels being affected but not SD ones and the same with some DAB ensembles.

JF1980

Post by JF1980 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:12 pm

Agree on the service life of these cars. I read an article recently which suggested that manufacturers who produce cars that are predominantly leased tend to have shorter warranties and 'service life' than those manufacturers where the customers generally purchase the vehicles. It said that many now use CAD to design components that are predicted to fail once that period is up. I guess that not only reduces manufacturing costs but increases parts sales and service opportunities on used vehicles. BMW and Mercedes were the worst for this with the highest failure rates after 3 years, Hyundai were listed as one of the best for long term reliability and also had the highest % of purchases vs leasing.

I guess it's the same with many things. You noticed this with your shaver, I notice it with toothbrushes. I use a Sonicare toothbrush and they tend to fail pretty reliably after 1.5-2 years of use. After taking them apart - failure of the last three I've had have all been of the same nature (fatigue/fracture in the frame) - they could easily be strengthened in this area but then I wouldn't be buying a new toothbrush every few years. Now I've wised up to this I only buy the basic model without all the bells and whistles that you never actually use.

Interesting regards the inversion - usually bad news for glider pilots :)