Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspension warning

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Andy Collings

Suspension warning

Post by Andy Collings » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:40 pm

Yesterday picked up car after mot and some non related work. Started engine and immediately suspension symbol came on and message on idrive. Turned off engine and restarted and all ok. This morning drove a mile or so and warning came on again. Did diagnostics with icarsoft and timing error right rear came up. Cleared the code and will see what happens next. Must have been ok for mot or it would have failed. Anyone any idea's ?

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Suspension warning

Post by henrym3 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:00 pm

Check the regulating rods on rear suspension, the little ball joints seize up and end up cracking/ breaking the lever arms. Sometimes they put the suspension on the edge of reporting faults and subsequently you get intermittent faults. Also dismount the electrical plug and clean, spray with contact cleaner and check the wiring as far back as you can.

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:34 am

Yes, check the wiring from the sensor plug as mine had a broken wire 4 inches from the plug. I only realised after replacing the sensor twice with the warning and fault still present. I noticed slight scuffing on the tape covering the wires. Upon peeling the tape back I could see the damaged wire. A simple solder joint and all well.

I think the wire has been pinched when some unrelated work on the car had been carried out.

Andy Collings

Post by Andy Collings » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:43 pm

Thanks for that, will have a look. After clearing the fault code it hasn't come back. Will keep an eye on it.

Andy Collings

Post by Andy Collings » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:28 pm

Still no return, a gremlin maybe. Sure come back some time though.

Andy Collings

Post by Andy Collings » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:52 pm

Yep, came back again! Did diagnostics and came up with both rear ride height sensors timing issue. Will look into.

Andy Collings

Post by Andy Collings » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:24 pm

ok, found both of them quite easily, once I knew what to look for. Checked the condition as advised of the rods and ball joints, all seemed fine also the cables. Applied some WD40, have done a couple of trips already and no warning yet !!!!!

Andy Collings

Post by Andy Collings » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:51 pm

Been a little while longer now, WD40 seems to have done the trick.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:52 pm

Some years ago I got my danglie bits chewed off on here for using wd40 on plug connections, being told that I should only use contact cleaner. Even now if I use it I have a guilty look over my shoulder before spraying :)

Andy Collings

Post by Andy Collings » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:07 am

Good reply, you can love or hate the stuff. Most of the spray was sprayed onto the moving parts and some did get on the cables but I didn't put any on the contacts. I agree that proper contact cleaner is best for electrical items. I work on aircraft and never been allowed to use WD40 on anything electrical.