Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear tyre wear

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Andy Collings

Rear tyre wear

Post by Andy Collings » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:35 pm

Hi, just had mot with advisory of both rear tyres inner edge close to limits. Mechanic says normal on these cars. Can the tracking, wheel alignment be adjusted to counteract the wear? Rest of tyre wear on rears ok. Any advice be great.

marti

Re: Rear tyre wear

Post by marti » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:24 pm

A 4 wheel align would help, Im afraid the mechanic is correct.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:54 pm

As above, very common on AWD equipped BMWs. Many have found that the settings from the factory are ‘in limit’ but often at the outer margins of those limits. I had mine done last year for the same reason and in my case the front setup wasn’t quite right.

The best alignment companies to use make use of the Hunter laser alignment system. It takes about 40 mins and cost me £80 - cheaper (£60) if no changes required. Worth doing after a tyre set change as that is the time to get the best adjustment opportunity because the tyres have not scrubbed.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:01 pm

Most never check their tyres and low pressures greatly accelerate edge wear :thumbsup:

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:07 am

What mileage are you at, if around 100k and nothing has been done to the rear suspension then you probably need to refresh the bushes and ball joint, if just going for an alignment get the camber anywhere in the green but insists that the rear toe is 0.05. If they can’t get it to .05 then your bushes/ball joints are tired/worn. If you get your rear toe to 0.05 you will NOT get inside wear

Andy Collings

Post by Andy Collings » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:23 am

Excellent replies, thank you both. Will get the laser tracking done soonest. had it done on my E46 a while ago after a full tyre set change, they did make some adjustments. Will feedback any adjustments, thanks again.