Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspension airbags

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
mr angry

Re: Suspension airbags

Post by mr angry » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:05 pm

Did you identify where the original leak was coming from by using soapy water? Were the old bags actually leaking? Is the leak from pipework or the valve block maybe?

asoni

Post by asoni » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:27 pm

I didn’t, as it seems such a common fault for the bag itself to leak that I just put it down to that rather than anything else.

Also, Bmw told me when they inspected the car a few weeks ago that the airbags look very worn.

Surely the air is contained within the airbags themselves once inflated. If there was a leak elsewhere, why would that cause the airbags to deflate?

asoni

Post by asoni » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:28 pm

My only inkling, if it isn’t the bag itself, is possibly the valve might not have seated or sealed properly when I screwed it back in so will check that first.

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:36 pm

asoni wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:27 pm I didn’t, as it seems such a common fault for the bag itself to leak that I just put it down to that rather than anything else.

Also, Bmw told me when they inspected the car a few weeks ago that the airbags look very worn.

Surely the air is contained within the airbags themselves once inflated. If there was a leak elsewhere, why would that cause the airbags to deflate?
My understanding is, that a leak on any of the pipes or valve block can cause the bags to sag. You are right in saying that the bags are usually the culprit but I would check the lines etc too just to be sure.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:03 pm

If the only thing you had of was the bag and that side was OK before then the little ferrule that screws in the bag may be damaged. Get some soapy water in a spray bottle and check around it and the bag itself for leaks.

asoni

Post by asoni » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:27 pm

I actually got the new nut out the bin an hour ago as I remembered something. I originally threw it away as I just reused the old one.

But I remember when I disconnected the airline, that tiny ferrule thing you just mentioned fell off and I honestly can’t remember if I put it back on or not.

Luckily the new nut I had thrown away has one on it which I’ve rescued from the bin.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:14 pm

Never throw little parts like that out lol :D

asoni

Post by asoni » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:27 pm

I generally don’t unless it’s from a part I’m unlikely to need to touch ever again but lesson learnt!

Anyway, got the airbag off today to have a look and I had actually replaced the ferrule washer.

The Washer is tapered so the only thing I can think is I put it on upside down. I flipped it around so the tapered end goes into the airbag first.

Will give it an hour and see if it’s worked or not.

Ironically, I ended up having to access the Compressor as the airbags had too much pressure to squeeze out, and obviously I couldn’t pop them like I did the old ones.

Dessie

Post by Dessie » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:37 pm

My passenger side airbag deflated with a huge bang coming out of Asda car park last year. A few folk ducked for cover :lol: :lol: :lol:

asoni

Post by asoni » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:44 pm

Quick update, no issues so it was the ferrule washer that I had fitted upside down!

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:48 pm

Job well done lol :driving:

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:51 pm

Dessie wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:37 pm My passenger side airbag deflated with a huge bang coming out of Asda car park last year. A few folk ducked for cover :lol: :lol: :lol:

would have been funny to see (not for you though obviously !) I do hear some reports of the cheap replacement bags being made of thin material and rather than leak they tend to pop .

Dessie

Post by Dessie » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:00 pm

These were the original BMW ones. It was a bit of a laugh though. :D

kenny37

Post by kenny37 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:33 pm

you fitted arnott bags but obviously didn't read their fitting instructions. the old airline connection needs to be removed and bare pipe pushed into one already fitted, it clicks in. removing the new connector voids warranty. did mine last week,easy. got my son a wannabe mechanic to do some for practice. 10 mins my side. 2 coffees his!!!

asoni

Post by asoni » Sun May 10, 2020 3:08 pm

^ I didn’t read the instructions but had done plenty of research beforehand.

Also to be fair, it’s just a nut/washer and can’t see any obvious reason as to why the old one can’t be reused.