Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspension airbags

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
asoni

Re: Suspension airbags

Post by asoni » Sun May 10, 2020 3:22 pm

Anyway also have couple of issues.

As explained above I had to access compressor which meant removing the under shield.

Put it all back together and noticed 5/6 black rubber washers lying on the floor. They had obviously fallen off when removing shield which I didn’t notice, and haven’t had time to get back under the car to refit them.

Ever since, I’ve been getting little creaking noises which is quite obviously related to this. Only problem is the underside cover has 3/4 different types of nuts/fasteners and I can’t work out which ones the rubber washer is for and real oem doesn’t even show a rubber washer at all.

Second issue, I’m getting some kind of tapping noise coming from the airbag area. Again, only happened since changing the bags. They have 100% been fitted correctly and are working fine, but at low speeds when balance of car changes I get a slight tapping/clicking noise. It’s not the sort of noise you get when bushes or suspension is worn, more like something is knocking against something else.

kenny37

Post by kenny37 » Sun May 10, 2020 6:25 pm

totally agree . as it's easy to change either way. but these days company's love to not pay out if poss. and with the price of these(mrp) even discounted it's easier to follow instructions😇.

kenny37

Post by kenny37 » Sun May 10, 2020 6:32 pm

re the washers. found a few on ground after removing tray. oops.
they went back onto plastic push in clips so that they stayed tight. might stop the vibration/squeaking your experiencing. regarding clicking noise, did you put airline back into clips? wondering if they're flexing and banging on body. doubtful if loud enough to hear but...

asoni

Post by asoni » Sun May 10, 2020 8:19 pm

Yea definitely put line into groove.

Anyway thanks re the washers, sounds like that’s it, I’ll refit them and hopefully that will sort the creaking!

Still not sure what the tapping noise is though, will see once I’ve done the washers as it’s bit confusing trying to work out exactly where the noise is coming from.