Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Panoramic Roof Not Closing

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Longjonty

Panoramic Roof Not Closing

Post by Longjonty » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:40 pm

Hi,

It's been a while since I last posted of the forum, and I know this is an old topic, but I thought I would add my experience.

Over the past two years the panoramic roof on my 2012 E70 X5 M Sport has been stuck open in the tilt/vent position on a couple of occasions.

A search on the web advised one possible way of closing the two tilted glass panels is to apply a little pressure by hand on the back part of each glass while somebody in the car operates the close button. According to the account that I read this solution was tried by an AA patrol man while attending a call out by a member.
This is not an ideal method, as I think it could put a strain on the mechanism, but I have to say that it has worked for me on a couple of occasions.
Subsequent use of the panoramic roof either in tilt or full open mode hasn't been a problem.

However this week, same thing again, roof stuck open in the tilt position, operating the close switch causes the two windows to start closing but half way through the operation they both pop back open again.

Tried the light hand pressure method described above, my wife operated the switch while I gently pressed on the rear edges of both glass panels, hey presto they closed same as before, result!

This morning, nice sunny day, so I opened the roof to the open tilt position, no problem. When I tried to close them, same problem as before, partial closure, then they both return to the open tilt position. This hasn't happened so soon before, usually after it had been through the problem once, and been pushed closed by hand the tilt and the full open and close operations would usually be OK for 6 months or more.

So I felt a new approach was required!

A trawl through the internet again revealed, as before, that this is a fairly common problem on ANY BMW with a two glass panel panoramic roof.

One that drew my attention was the roof "RESET" operation, you can find it on Youtube, basically ignition on, push directly up on the roof switch, wait a few seconds.........and it should cycle through all the positions the roof panels and sliding shade can do, it takes about 60 seconds or so.
The important thing is to let the full cycle complete before you take you finger off the switch.

Now, I tried this on my X5, key in the ignition, push it in to switch on the ignition, push the roof switch in and ................... nothing, no movement at all !!!

Then I tried it again but this time with the engine running ............. SUCCESS !!

I followed the same procedure, pushed the roof switch up, it took about 10 - 15 seconds for the cycle to start and about 60 seconds to complete, result the roof now works perfectly again opening and closing as it should.

So, if you have the same or similar roof closing problems try the "RESET" procedure first, but if you car is like mine HAVE THE ENGINE RUNNING, otherwise it may not work.

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere on the forum, but I thought it worth bringing my experiences to your attention.

Especially now that the good weather is on its way, and you may encounter a sticking panoramic roof.

Here's to happier times, once covid 19 has been mastered

John

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Panoramic Roof Not Closing

Post by X5Sport » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:30 pm

Sounds like a bit of a result. Pano roofs on all European cars seem to be troublesome. I wonder if the manufacturer is common to many brands? The E53 was notorious for breaking the white metal castings at the rear meaning disabling that part permanently or a new £2,500 cassette being needed!

I had a pano roof on the Superb 3 and that was making odd noises after less than 3 years! The one on our 2-series is rarely used because neither of us trust the thing. :(
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Longjonty

Post by Longjonty » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:56 pm

Hi again,

Yes it does seem that panoramic roof problems are not restricted to just BMWs.

It makes you wonder why they still fit/offer them as an option.

If they work without problems they are very desirable for a number of people, but once you’ve experienced problems you tend to use them sparingly if it all!

I hope the methods I described will help some people out, that is if it is a simple not closing problem.

However while investigating my non closing roof problems it was apparent there are bigger issues here with failed wires, burnt out motors and jammed mechanisms.

I’ve already made my mind up that my next car/suv will not have a panoramic roof if I can avoid it.

Regards,

John

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:21 pm

Longjonty wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:56 pmI’ve already made my mind up that my next car/suv will not have a panoramic roof if I can avoid it.
Do what I did and get a Webasto aftermarket single-panel 'roof fitted in a non-sunroof car. :thumbsup: When I was looking to purchase an F25, the cheapest one available with a pano-roof was £4k more expensive than the one I bought, had higher mileage and was one of my least favourite colours. The Webasto cost me less than £2k all-in. :)
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Longjonty

Post by Longjonty » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:29 pm

Hi Stubeedoo,

Sounds like good advice, I’ll definitely consider a Webasto roof installation next time.

Once again proven “old” tech wins the day!

Regards,

John

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:17 pm

Old style :D

My Dad had a Webasto sunroof fitted to his Rover back in 1968 (yeah I know, some of you weren’t born yet!) and back then they weren’t glass but a hand-cranked fabric design ‘on the roof’ rather then within.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:06 pm

Longjonty wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:29 pmI’ll definitely consider a Webasto roof installation next time.
If it helps, there are pics of the finished install to my car here
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Longjonty

Post by Longjonty » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:05 am

Hi,

Thank you for your link.

It looks a very neat job.

I also took a look at the Webasto web site, and there a quite a few distributers/fitters around the country, so its a definite possibility for the future.

Many thanks,

BTW nice X3, I like the colour combination you chose, and I always prefer a light coloured interior.
My X5 is black exterior with a beige leather and matching beige carpet and loading space interior.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:40 am

My only (minor) gripe about the Webasto is that when the panel is retracted the deflector is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. It's not tall enough. Just guessing, but it might be something to do with the X3's lack of aerodynamic properties. TBF, though, I rarely have it retracted in any case.

Longjonty

Post by Longjonty » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13 pm

Yes, I had to replace the wind defector on my X5, the retaining clips that attach the mesh to the roof channel had rusted through so as soon as you went above 20mph they sprung lose and the mesh just flapped in the draft.

Managed to get a new one of ebay for just over £120 and fitted it myself.

I think most people only use their sunroofs in tilt mode, having it fully open on the X5 is a novelty but rarely done.

John