Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Plastic tube/pipe.

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Andy Collings

Plastic tube/pipe.

Post by Andy Collings » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:46 pm

Hi, I have just been looking at my engine for a small oil leak which is leaking onto the exhaust and making a burning oil smell. I have found a small plastic tube / pipe under the plastic covers for the rocker cover on the right hand side looking rearwards. It is not connected to anything just sat there really loose. It goes down towards bottom of engine somewhere. Anyone know what it's for? A breather maybe? It's around the middle of the engine.

Andy Collings

Re: Plastic tube/pipe.

Post by Andy Collings » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:56 pm

Forgot to say it's an X5 E70 4.8 M Sport.

marti

Post by marti » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:27 pm

Have a look on realoem.

Andy Collings

Post by Andy Collings » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:53 pm

Thanks for reply, couldn't find it but I got in touch with the garage that I normally use and they told me it is a breather pipe for the diff and only connects at the bottom. The top end should be clipped in position near the valve cover but on mine the clip is missing. The top end just stays open to air as a breather. I just panicked a bit thinking I had knocked it off. All is ok, I will however tywrap it in position to stop it floating about.