Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine noise

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Mike88

Re: Engine noise

Post by Mike88 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:02 pm

Olliefrom83 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:31 am Very interesting stuff,

X5sport, have to say I have never really given it much thought when it comes to where the fuel comes from, interesting read.

Going to order some of the additive from eBay that Alan posted up.

The redex seems to be making an improvement, not sure if that’s placebo, but going to get injector reading again either tomorrow or Saturday and see if any difference

Thanks again

Ollie
Interesting stuff. Keep us posted.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:04 am

When i first started using the 2 Ethyl Hexyl Nitrate years ago i noticed after around 6 weeks my mpg had increased as well.
My 2002 3.0d has averaged 29.7 over the last 3.5 years (can't reset the computer due to aftermarket head unit so it's a battery disconnect job) mainly short trips to town and back but it has also pulled a twin wheeled horse box up and down the Welch hill's.
Also i did a 300 mile round trip and i did a brim to brim and with steady driving i managed just short of 44mpg yes a surprise to me but i filled the tank both times waiting for the burble and topping to the brim again.

Sandy5454

Post by Sandy5454 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:06 am

I have bene using Shell V Power for years now an dnever had any diesel problems, so to me it is worth the extra.

Olliefrom83

Post by Olliefrom83 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:34 am

So have done a tank of fuel with additive as suggested, engine does seem quieter, injector values have changed, both readings I took after same 40min journey, figures seem closer together, having read specs for the injectors they can be either -/+.5
So from previous reading it looks like injector 2 was just over spec, but is now within spec, however I am sure these readings are affected by air temp, engine temp etc, so I am sure if I took them even every hour they would vary widely.

Engine seeming noisier could be down to the lack of additives in the supermarket fuel as discussed and just what i believed the engine to normally sound like.

I will be filling up the tank again to the brim, but will be getting it from Tesco and seeing if the engine once again seems to get noisier. Then I shall add the 2 ethyl hexyl nitrate.

Interesting stuff and appreciate everyone’s input into something I hadn’t given much thought.
6CEB777D-B294-4044-A625-36241539E6E3.jpeg
6CEB777D-B294-4044-A625-36241539E6E3.jpeg (95.22 KiB) Viewed 1413 times

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:08 pm

Whilst I am aware of the fact that fuels of different brands come from the same facilities, FWIW I feel it's worth sharing my diesel fuel experiences.....

When I bought my E46 330d (M57N) I had habitually been using supermarket fuel for many years, and continued to do so. Initially, with the E46, I used Millers at every fill. On a holiday in Scotland, the only fuel local to our accommodation was Esso. I filled-up, adding Millers as usual, and didn't give much thought to what I had done until I realised that the car seemed to have gained a little extra performance. The next time I filled-up I checked the consumption and it worked-out at nearly 10% better than I would have expected. After that final supermarket fill (probably Sainsburys, as it's our nearest) I have stuck to Esso in my BMWs for all but 2 fills, when a long way from home. I stopped using Millers when I got the F25, because of the "NO ADDITIVES" printed on the filler cap. Last autumn, I had a "drivetrain error" message and when I had the car scanned for errors, it was EGR-related. The codes were cleared and I put a bottle of EGR/DPF cleaner in the tank and when that was gone went back to using Millers. I've had no further issues so far.

My wife wouldn't stop using the convenience of supermarket fuel in her Citroen. Every MOT, without exception, it failed on emissions until it had been given a thrashing with EGR/DPF cleaner in the tank. At the start of this year, I finally convinced her to stop using supermarket fuel. This MOT, it actually passed on emissions without the normal palaver. I doubt I'll ever get her to use any additive, but as long as she continues not using supermarket fuel it should be enough.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:24 pm

BMW also offer a fuel additive. I use it every few tanks but can’t say I notice any real difference. I buy it from Cotswold BMW on line as that’s much cheaper than from my local dealer. It’s still about £10 per tankful though.

BMW fuel additive

83 192 296 922 BMW Group Diesel additive

83 192 183 738 BMW Group Petrol additive
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Olliefrom83

Post by Olliefrom83 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:10 pm

I have used the bmw additive before on my old E53, can’t say it made any difference at all, although I only used it out of curiosity, the car never gave me a reason to use it.

The fuel debate is a wide one, I wonder if the “no additives” on the fuel cap is because bmw expect people to be buying premium fuel to put in the premium car.

As X5sport has said previous, it only seems to be additives put in that we pay the premiums for at the pump at the likes of Shell etc.

I suppose to main point is, do you buy supermarket fuel and pay less per litre and then buy and add your own additive

Or do you buy your fuel with the additives already in

What is more cost effective

I will be experimenting with the 2 ethyl hexyl nitrate, as our e70 can cover anything from 500miles in a month to 1500 odd

So every bit saved is a bonus

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:29 am

Olliefrom83 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:10 pmI wonder if the “no additives” on the fuel cap is because bmw expect people to be buying premium fuel to put in the premium car.
I had wondered it that is the reason, too.

I meant to say in my post above..... After I started using Esso + Millers in my E46 I removed all the emission control paraphernalia - cat, EGR, swirl flaps. At MOT time the readings from the test machine were always at the lowest end of the permitted range, and there was never any visible smoke from the exhaust. Also, when the oil was changed it didn't start to go "diesel black" for at least 2000 miles.

EDIT:- I forgot to add that IME supermarket diesel froths a lot more than the branded equivalent (Esso or Shell) does. Down to additives, I guess.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)