Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Water leak past rear door X5 e70 plus seat dyed

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
b21playa

Re: Water leak past rear door X5 e70 plus seat dyed

Post by b21playa » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:32 pm

X5Sport wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:25 pm
b21playa wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:44 pm I keep saying I’m going to buy some but never have. Can I use brake cleaner and let it dry?
Not sure. Depends upon what’s in it as a solvent. Test in an inconspicuous area as the saying goes.
Will do, thanks.

Also ordered a new battery ready for winter as it kept loosing time and voltage when running was 14.5v

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:49 pm

I used a tiny bit of petrol on a cloth on the inner door skin and let it dry, ironically the stuff I got along with the kit and paid extra for was a grease remover lol you will notice I put the buytl just beside the original stuff which I left on the foam giving a double seal bit of a warmup once pushed in on the foam to help it bond.
The butyl on the metal is easiest removed by sticking it to a piece you pull off already and comes off quite easy then

Very heavy rain last night and no whoosh of water when either rear door opened so looking promising so far, carpet will take a few days to dry in this cold weather. :D

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:49 pm

Door handle changed ,as you will know they go sticky and generally nasty with age , 14 quid ebay one good colour match but doesn't quite fit as well as genuine one ,one of the little clip slots broke on fitting as its too thin there . It mush be cast of a real one as all the little part number son the back are there too ! BMW had an indent rather than a slot for this reason i guess but at about 60 quid for a bit a plastic they can keep it lol. After that I decided Id fit a new genuine rear light seal as I was getting fog light out warnings earlier in the year when it was cold plus water was running out of the boot when it was lifted ,
I had replaced the other side when I got the car as the led had failed, I knew it was sealed on but it was a hell of a job to get it removed ,much heating and careful prying followed took abut 20 mins to remove and an age to get all the crap of the light with much scraping and using petrol so soften it and also remove the sealer on the boot ! Refitted now new seal which is foam , the clip is a right bugger to fit correctly through the little bulb replacement slot in the tailgate.
Light works fine but got a high rate of discharge for my trouble after having the boot open so long and clock reset so on the Ctek now as its been sitting a week anyway not moving.
20201030_095238.jpg
20201030_095238.jpg (138.18 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
20201030_112246.jpg
20201030_112246.jpg (120.99 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
20201030_123248.jpg
20201030_123248.jpg (190.34 KiB) Viewed 1060 times

b21playa

Post by b21playa » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:20 pm

My butyl has just turned up so hoping to do door seal later. Funnily enough I had to change rear inner lights earlier in the year due to bulb out warnings

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:39 pm

I guess most cars get the same faults after a few years :D , I don't really like the way its held on with one stud which doesn't give even pressure to the gasket but we shall see how it goes , the sealer was doing a great job in the places it was put on but any tiny gaps have leaked ,i'm guessing this is where the water coming out of the bootlid drain is coming from anyway . I can't get it to sit perfect ,other side isn't sitting 100% either but its the best i can do !
Its had 2 bootlid lights before by the look of it , cheap ones but I put an oe one on drivers side after that and if I even have to change this one will get another oe one.

I had to replace the indicator repeater too as while washing the car I caught it with my hand and heard something fall inside the wing :headbang: and the indicator came loose , the spring clip that holds it on had broken off , bought a secondhand one which when it arrived had no clip either so bit the bullet and bought new 42 quid for a side repeater :o

b21playa

Post by b21playa » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:58 pm

Oh gosh, unlucky about the indicator.

I felt my inner rear lights didn’t sit right either and they are genuine bmw ones, got them to look the best I could.

I’ve put the butyl in and put the car back together, let’s hope no more water leaking in.

Also my new agm battery turned up today, so that got fitted along with registering the new one. Hoping no more issues with it loosing time. Need to ensure it’s ready for winter as it’s my main car, don’t like taking the m5 anywhere when the weather is rubbish.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:06 pm

Hopefully water leaks and non starts are a thing of the past for you :D
What did you use to register the battery ? it's something I will have to do sooner or later no doubt . cars like the M3 and M5 really are best used in the summer just too much power for the grip in 2wd. maybe you need an X5M ? :lol: I priced insurance last night and its hardly any dearer than my sd , unfortunately the purchase price for a nice F15 is way out of my cost base for a while yet but we car dream and especially in longbeach blue :driving:

b21playa

Post by b21playa » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:26 pm

I’ve not had non start issues, just time being lost.

I have the launch x431 pro and ista+ for registering battery.

I’d love a x5m and considered one before but my sd is old now and ragged around a bit to be fair while doing the house up, but I’ve ive just purchased a van it will just be for commuting.