Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dull headlights

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
BMWE70ADAM

Dull headlights

Post by BMWE70ADAM » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:08 am

I have a bmw e70 with halogen bulbs non xenon,both headlights are like candles,dangerous to drive at night,the headlight lenses are clear no oxidation, i put in osram nightbreakers made little diffrence,so ive fitted an aftermarket xenon kit the nasty type that usually dazzles on coming drivers,its made a difference but still very very poor light out put,so ive replaced the fog lights with an xenon kit aswell,the fog lights are now as bright as normal headlights and use them aid driving on poorly lite roads,i presumed maybe poor voltage output caused by bad grounded wire??but then thought fog lights are super bright so surly they run off same grounded wire??? Any suggestings of why both my headlights have poor light output but fog lights are super bright ..thanks

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Dull headlights

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:01 am

Have you got the projector type headlights or the type where you can see the bulb from the front.

StuBeeDoo

Re: Dull headlights

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:24 am

Is the problem on dipped and main beam, or just dipped? If it's both, then I'd look for an electrical problem. If it's just dipped, have the projector lenses gone dull?
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)