Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear door water leak

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
b21playa

Rear door water leak

Post by b21playa » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:18 pm

Hi all

Had replied on Leslie’s post but as my issue hasn’t been resolved I thought I’d start a new thread rather than high jacking his.

On my rear passenger door I’m getting water inside, as I open the door a pool of water splashes out. I took the door card off and at the bottom there was 6 inches of the foam membrane not sealed. This was reseated with new butyl and heated up to stick.

Could it be the door rubber seals?

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Rear door water leak

Post by Leslie » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:37 pm

I got a pool of water when I opened the good door this morn ,car was facing in for change rather than out but non was getting into the cabin . Have a look at the drains to make sure they are not blocked push a cable tie or something up to be sure . If you check round the lower part of the inner door seal andup the sides as water will run down once past and there is no damage then it should be fine but you can move the striker in to pull the door in a bit ,mark it first across striker in several places so you know where you started from as otherwise it will be impossible to gauge how far you have moved it . I did move mine in about 2mm top and bottom on the striker first but it made no difference to mine but might to yours so I put it back again . :D

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:56 pm

Did you check all the way round the foam liner its not just the bottom you need to be worried about can get in anywhere ? what about the little rubber washers on the clips these can fall off on removal and you wouldn't notice ?

b21playa

Post by b21playa » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:19 pm

I did check all the way around and the bottom was the only bit that wasn’t sealed. All clips had their seals on, I checked as I did have some spares.

I’ve decided the pull the door catch in 2mm, let’s see how that goes