Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 e70 lci xDrive40d power loss

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Alexx

X5 e70 lci xDrive40d power loss

Post by Alexx » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:02 pm

Hi,
From some time I suspected lack of power in my e70. No issues, no errors shown on ista. Fuel consumption a bit poor but it’s getting colder so thought it should be like that.

To compare mother have f25 3.0d and her car pull as well as ... it should. Mines x5 is like a mule from start ok but not a wet panties maker.

I’ve replaced all vacuum hoses, seals on turbo pipes but not improvement at all.
Even replace and adapt air mass meter from moms f25 but still the same.
Today i went on dyno to do a remap and check what’s going on.

Factor power 272.6 hp should be 306.
After remap 315hp. They were suggesting blocked dpf but after diag excluded it. They suggested to clean intake manifold and inlets. Any other suggestions or experience with n57 40d ?

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: X5 e70 lci xDrive40d power loss

Post by henrym3 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:56 pm

Can’t understand why you got a remap done on a vehicle that is not running properly. Can’t understand why a company would have done a remap on a vehicle that’s over 30hp down,

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:54 am

With Henry here, a remap can't fix issues you have to start with the engine in top condition.
With the BHP reading was that wheel horse power or fly wheel corrected?

My Brother Inlaw has run 5 series for years all 530d or 535d flavours all have been remapped he did have a power issue with the current car which was tracked down to the exhaust cooler on the DPF. Apparently there are coolers on the inlet and exhaust, modern diesels huh.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:01 pm

I doubt you would even notice a 30 hp (10%) drop on these cars and thats even saying a dyno is anywhere near accurrate ! as that is only delivered at max rev where nobody is at in normal driving , it sounds more like you have a drive ability issue where there is no low down go maybe until you get past a certain rev range.?
As there are no codes check the simple things like changing the air filter if it hasn't been changed in a long time incase its very dirty ,fuel filter too, is the car actually getting up to temperature as this is critical for regens and can allow the dpf to start blocking up . you can check using the hidden menu (see youtube for how to do this ) and it it;s not over 80c they both need changing . :driving: Is there a wheel gets black with brake dust more quickly than the others as x5's are famous for sticking calipers ?.
If there was a major fault there would likely be a code ...

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:16 am

Sounds strange to map a car that the owner thinks is not running right.
And i don't think you will get one to do 0 to 60 in 3 seconds they are not f1 cars.

Alexx

Post by Alexx » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:24 pm

Hi there, thanks for replies. So tuner haven’t seen any problems with turbo, dpf, air mass sensor and other so decided to put file into it. I started digging and found a problem with a intake manifold gasket cyl 6. I’ve clean up intake manifold, throttle body, inlets and it’s better but I don’t know if that resolve my problem in 100 %. Air filter is new. I will do a service within a days and check up a dyno. I know a lot about m57 but n57 is something new for me and tried to ask , maybe someone have a ready solution for lack of power. Image
Leslie wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:01 pm I doubt you would even notice a 30 hp (10%) drop on these cars and thats even saying a dyno is anywhere near accurrate ! as that is only delivered at max rev where nobody is at in normal driving , it sounds more like you have a drive ability issue where there is no low down go maybe until you get past a certain rev range.?
As there are no codes check the simple things like changing the air filter if it hasn't been changed in a long time incase its very dirty ,fuel filter too, is the car actually getting up to temperature as this is critical for regens and can allow the dpf to start blocking up . you can check using the hidden menu (see youtube for how to do this ) and it it;s not over 80c they both need changing . :driving: Is there a wheel gets black with brake dust more quickly than the others as x5's are famous for sticking calipers ?.
If there was a major fault there would likely be a code ...

Front wheels are black from brake dust but I drive aggressive so. I’ll go for another dyno after service and then I will check what’s going on. No errors at all. Even checked pressures before / after dpf through ista and none faults :( maybe I’ll check front brakes because as I’m braking from high speeds steering wheel is shaking so maybe there is idea

I don’t expect f1 acceleration but that car with mod should be fast as f :)