Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Transfer Box Judder

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
martins8585

Transfer Box Judder

Post by martins8585 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:03 pm

Hi - on my 2012 E70, 100k on the clock I'm getting the dreaded transfer box judder at low speeds when there's some lock on.

I'm now on 4 brand new * marked tyres though did run on non * marked Michelin's for a while. (I know it was naughty but those Cross Climates really are very good......)

There seems to be a lot of urban myths around this with everything from a full transfer case rebuild to an oil change being suggested. (or even software resets??)

I'm not a home mechanic so everything will be done by a garage so does anyone have any experience of what they've done that actually worked?

Cheers

approved

Re: Transfer Box Judder

Post by approved » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:12 pm

I changed the tyres first, which marginally improved the situation. Them changed the fluid and reset the adaptions and it seems to have solved the problem for me.

I decided to do the gearbox and diffs as well, as a additional preventative measure.

martins8585

Post by martins8585 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:30 pm

Thanks - anyone else with experience of this?

approved

Post by approved » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:34 pm

I’d add, i don’t know if Its solved the problem or I’ve just kicked it down to road for a bit but the improvement is massive ( or was in my case) with the removal of all symptoms

it only costs about £100 to do so it’s a no brainer as a starting point.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:27 am

Fluid change and adaption reset is worth a try and shouldn't cost much if done by your local bmw indi.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:15 am

martins8585 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:03 pm Hi - on my 2012 E70, 100k on the clock I'm getting the dreaded transfer box judder at low speeds when there's some lock on.

I'm now on 4 brand new * marked tyres though did run on non * marked Michelin's for a while. (I know it was naughty but those Cross Climates really are very good......)

Cheers
If the tyres were all new and the same make I doubt that had anything to do with your issue , everything wears out eventually and its probably all down to the type of driving you do as well :driving: There is also no way of knowing what tyres were fitted before you had it , some just fit 2 tyres (dealers included) and have a huge difference in tread depth as they don't know the issues as they were never told.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:07 pm

If the wrong tyres (or combinations etc) were used before you had it and damage was done then changing tyres or oils or resetting adaptions won’t undo that unfortunately. You may get improvements but as above that’s really just kicked the issue a way down the road for a while. :? :cry:

I have never used the wrong tyres but my E71 is starting to show signs of transfer box problems at less than 55k.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

approved

Post by approved » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:26 pm

I’m at 88k and like others, haven’t used incorrect tyres, I just think short local family journeys and uneven wear ( outer edge front, inner edge rear) on last set of bridgestones probably contributed. I took a view that with lockdown ongoing, I was going to get everything done that was needed or was probably going to be needed

I’m thinking if I get another 10-20k ( or more) out of the transfer box, then that’s perfectly acceptable. It’s 12 years old this year so there will always be something on the horizon that needs work, even if maintained properly.

Still quite fond of it. It’s does everything we need of it, just as well as something many multiples of its value. Other than spend, it’s not really depreciating and it’s in really good nick.

Probably implode tomorrow...

Olliefrom83

Post by Olliefrom83 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:08 pm

Recently changed my oil after the car started juddering and skipping on full lock, I have * marked all around with nearly 7mm and it progressively got worse over a few weeks, oil change and completely gone, oil was like runny tar that came out, haven’t reset adaptions as of yet, not sure if that makes any difference apart from reset the oil counter