Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Milky Headlight covers

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
FlipperMan

Milky Headlight covers

Post by FlipperMan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:01 pm

Just picked up my '07 X5 3.0d SE yesterday and noticed that the headlight covers are 'milky'. They look like a strong polish has been used on the plastic and almost marked it - definitely not transparent any more. I mentioned it to the salesman (Haliwell Jones) and asked him to investigate whether the covers were part of the light unit or available separately.

Anyone had similar ? Should I request replacement ?

Minda

Re: Milky Headlight covers

Post by Minda » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:11 pm

How many miles has the x done? the covers are plastic and can pick up chip's and scratches, i believe that you can use a polishing compound to improve the surface if this is the case.
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB

n1k85

Post by n1k85 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:48 am

I saw this the other day (albeit for the old shape but surely the same procedure)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrxXc0LFPRA
2004 Silver 3.0D Sport Auto - 20" Le Mans Rims, Gen 4 Hualingan DVD/BT/iPod/SD/Nav Headunit, E70 Rear Wiper Conversion, Front Bosch Aero Flatblades

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:04 pm

RealOEM shows only complete light units - minus the electrics etc - no separately available lenses.

Unfortunately some people use the wrong cleaning materials on the plastics and that's that. As long as you know what you're doing, the repair kits do work.

If it were me, I'd be asking them to replace both at their expense - assuming it's under some warranty of course. There's no way that's 'fair wear & tear' in my book anyway.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.