Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Crack in Drivers side heated mirror

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
petert

Post by petert » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:22 am

I've had a scorch mark on my drivers side mirror for some time now. It finally cracked a week or so ago during a cold spell.
Being replaced under warranty Thursday...
Peter T
2010 E70 35D vermilion red, beige leather, Sport, Technology and Executive packages plus running boards.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Crack in Drivers side heated mirror

Post by pvr » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:56 am

You did not get the "ah, that is a stone chip sir - not covered" :D
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

petert

Post by petert » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:41 am

To be honest they didn't even look at it, but when you do it's very obviously a defect as the crack follows the line of the scorch mark very closely.
Peter T
2010 E70 35D vermilion red, beige leather, Sport, Technology and Executive packages plus running boards.

petert

Post by petert » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:42 pm

So - the dealer replaced the mirror today and also changed the bezel around the miror as well. The is slimmer than the original so it now looks different to the passenger side. Next week the car goes back in and they will change both the glass and the bezel on the passenger side - also under warranty - so that they match. Apparently the heat damage to the glass is a known issue and though it's obviously not a recall issue there have been many examples. Hip hip for 4 year warranty! All In need is for them to fix my intermittent ECL and I might even buy the car at the end of the lease. Maybe..
Peter T

petert

Post by petert » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:43 pm

Had the passenger side mirror replaced today and the dealer has also changed the charge air temperature sensor and rectified an non-functioning fuel filter heater. So, ECL is now out and I'll see if it comes back again. That fuel filter heater could be the problem I've had for over a year in cold weather when frankly I felt the car was significantly under-performing. Just a shame they couldn't have diagnosed it earlier. Will keep forum posted as the cold weather arrives...
Peter T

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:26 am

Good news about the fuel filter, as you say, it may have had a bearing on things.

Sent from my iPod device using Tapatalk
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe