Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Nail in tyre..!

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
mark09

Nail in tyre..!

Post by mark09 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:42 pm

Tyre pressure sensor come on yesterday and went to blow up the tyres and noticed 1 of the rear tyre was very low pressure!

After bit of investigation notice nail in the tyre.....aggghh

Question....can this be easy repaired or am I looking at a new tyre?

Do u guys go to places like kwik fit or ATS alike? Not fan of these places as I don't think there always honest.

dirtymonkey29
Snr Member
Snr Member

Nail in tyre..!

Post by dirtymonkey29 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:10 pm

Depends where the nail is, if it's a run flat or not. I use a local tyre fitter for tyres and balancing, I'd use the same place for punctures. They use a torque wrench for tightening up the wheel nuts. Kwik fit are terrible for using air tools and stripping out the flutes on the lock nuts

mark09

Nail in tyre..!

Post by mark09 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:13 pm

Yeah run flats Image

Think I take it to BMW - take ya eyes out but least they have the right tools!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Nail in tyre..!

Post by X5Sport » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:47 pm

I had a 1/4" diameter piece of steel through my OSF, centre of the tread, and the local tyre guys removed the tyre and patched it and rebalanced it. £16.75 :D

Had them hand tighten and 'nip up' the bolts, then I loosened and re-torqued them when I got home. I never let any workshop use air tools on my wheels!!

They're not 'supposed' to fix RFTs but this one had done only 8 miles on the RFT system. If it hadn't been fixable then I would have used the BMW Tyre Insurance I got with the car.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.