Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gear change

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Sandybandy

Gear change

Post by Sandybandy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:32 am

Hi all,
Got a niggle with the gearbox, I don't know if it is a fault or just the way the 2010 X5's are.
When the engine is cold the car seems reluctant to change gear. It will hold on to about 2500 to 3000 revs and still not change, not what you want on a cold engine. The thing I find strange is when I let of the throttle the revs drop down to idle, no matter what speed I am doing. Also if I try to change gear manually the indicator on the display will say I have gone up the box 3 gears but the engine has not changed revs, it will catch up a couple of mile down the road as the engine warms up.
Has anyone got any ideas?
Cheers
Andy.

weirdfish

Re: Gear change

Post by weirdfish » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:49 am

I think, and think is the word, that there is software that helps prevent damage to the gearbox when cold by changing the way/revs it changes at, then as it gets warmer it all goes back to normal.
Does that make sense, oh, and by the way, welcome.

Sandybandy

Post by Sandybandy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:13 am

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the welcome.
The software is what I would have put it down to, although I thought it may also be cold thick transmission oil through the cold part of winter, it just seems to be more noticeable now than I can remember. Unfortunately this is my first auto, so I can't compare it to anything else I have driven. If all x5's are the same then I won't worry too much about it.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:27 am

The auto transmissions have a 'cold-mode' and a 'normal-running mode' software control code set. As suggested, the cold mode will cause the gearbox to hold the gears much longer than once the car warms up. Had this on both my E53 X5 and on the X6. It works off the gearbox oil temperature and once it hits the right point, the Mechatronics Computer will switch to normal mode and change at lower revs.

It is more noticeable on very cold days.. :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

petert

Post by petert » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:15 am

I have this exact behaviour on my 2010 35d. Very noticable in Canadian winters!

Peter T
2010 E70 35D vermilion red, beige leather, Sport, Technology and Executive packages plus running boards.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:48 pm

Same in my E53 too. Try not to worry - and welcome!

Stick a thread in the newbies section with some pics. We respond better to pics! :D
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:57 pm

Pics of the car that is, Sanj is a bit of a perv ...

And welcome of course :)
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Sandybandy

Post by Sandybandy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:10 pm

Cheers for the comments, my mind is at rest.
I will post a picture of the 5 when I get a few minutes spare.

storminmike
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by storminmike » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:49 pm

same in mine

I tickle the throttle with a feather touch to try an avoid this holding on feeling until it warms. If I don't it feels like i'm pushing the engine revs whilst the gearbox avoids being a gearbox

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:53 pm

[quote=""pvr""]Pics of the car that is, Sanj is a bit of a perv ...[/quote]
Does that mean that he's better, or worse, with pics of cars?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

surveysteve

Post by surveysteve » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:10 am

Thought I'd jump in whilst we are talking about gear changes.
I'm getting a lurch when slowing down to a stop. I've had my mate (BMW tech) clear the settings but it is still doing it.
Is there any way to stop it from doing this, apart from going into the sport mode and choosing the gear manually?
2003 E53 Carbon Black Edition 4.6 iS.
2002 Mk4 VW GT TDI Golf

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:39 am

[quote=""surveysteve""]I'm getting a lurch when slowing down to a stop. I've had my mate (BMW tech) clear the settings but it is still doing it.
Is there any way to stop it from doing this, apart from going into the sport mode and choosing the gear manually?[/quote]

Known and common issue with this box. People have had ATF change (with filter) and software updates. With varying results...
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:00 am

You could always do the soft reset thingy, do a search and it will tell you how, this has been known to clear some faults.
I think the boxes get used to the way you drive and adj accordingly, ( this of course could be utter bullshit, but it does sound good ).

surveysteve

Post by surveysteve » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:23 am

The gearbox has been serviced and fluid changed before I bought it. But I did think about that.
I've also done the soft reset and it came back after driving for a bit.
Looks like I'll just have to put up with it. I kinda realised that I may have too, just thought I'd ask on here too.

Cheers.
2003 E53 Carbon Black Edition 4.6 iS.
2002 Mk4 VW GT TDI Golf

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:44 pm

[quote=""surveysteve""]The gearbox has been serviced and fluid changed before I bought it. But I did think about that.
I've also done the soft reset and it came back after driving for a bit.
Looks like I'll just have to put up with it. I kinda realised that I may have too, just thought I'd ask on here too.

Cheers.[/quote]
As has been said already, some do have the oil changed and notice a difference, others not so much. You never really get all the oil out when doing this, as what's left in the torque converter won't get drained, but at least for some it seems to work.