Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electrically operated tow bar failure

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
satts

Electrically operated tow bar failure

Post by satts » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:46 pm

Hi
I just wanted to see if anyone else has had any issues with their factory fit electric folding tow bar on E70 LC1 models. My car is March 2012 and whilst demonstrating it to my family, it ceased to deploy! :x It is now stuck half way being neither up nor down! Obviously a visit to my local friendly dealer and it will be resolved of that I have doubt. My point is, is this a renowned reliability issue, will I be able to trust folding it away when on my holidays?? Or are these tow hitches generally reliable?
I would appreciate any other member’s feedback on this matter.

Thank you

Regards to all

stevee

Re: Electrically operated tow bar failure

Post by stevee » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:57 pm

No probs with ours. I remember reading the manual which gave a list of faults which I think it displays via the led colour/flash rate.
X5 E70 (2011)

satts

Post by satts » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi Stevee

I have it booked into the dealers, they got me try a few things first, but I had tried all of those to no avail already. I suspect it is just one of those "new car" niggles, better for it to happen on the driveway as opposed to being miles away on holiday with my caravan!

Thanks for reply

Satts :thumbsup:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:10 pm

Have you got full electrical connectivity on yours? As in do all the functions that should work on the 13-pin connector, including the fridge etc run when plugged into the car? Just curious, as there has been talk on the interwebs about that feed not being there.

Considering the cost of the option, it ought to be fully wired!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

satts

Post by satts » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:31 pm

Hi X5Sport

I haven't yet been able to plug into my van yet, that was the next thing, however due to the towbar "misbehaving" I wasn't able to try it out. My car goes into the dealers on Sat 14th April (I work away) Once it is sorted, the following week I shall give it its inaugeral test and report back, like you say it better had for £960!

I did make it very clear when I ordered my car (have e-mails to my dealer) That I wanted this to be sorted from factory, they assured me it would be.

Regards

Satts

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:46 pm

OK. Good luck at the Dealer. The X6 only has the detachable rather than folding one - odd as they're the same basic car underneath - so I'll be interested to know in case I have to go and lean on the Sales Team for failing to make it clear it's not fully wired, and there's no mention of such in the brochure either.

If the weather is kinder tomorrow I might take a meter to mine to see what I can find.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

satts

Post by satts » Wed May 02, 2012 9:07 am

A quick update, the towbar and electrics all work fine. The fridge all works as it should, so the beer and wine will be nicely chilled when I get to my destination! Next stop 286 mile tow down to Cheddar, full report on my return.

Regards

Satts