Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New run flat blow out

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Re: New run flat blow out

Post by 535dboy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:38 pm

[quote=""X5Sport""]Perhaps the TPMS was an option not ticked....... :(

I wonder why no RFTs? It's not as if the harshness of the ride is something of real interest to an 'M' Owner.......the harder the better!![/quote]

Run flats ruin ride and handling!!!!
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:21 pm

As an M owner I can confirm that no M has runflats. The behaviour of a car on the limits with runflats is scary, compared to progressive handling on normal tyres.

On my first Z I had runflats and the car was bouncing around corners with little grip until I put normal tyres on which transformed the road holding and removed the tram lining.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:34 pm

Makes sense......in which case they decided to ruin the ride on all the other variants to save money on no spares = lighter car and lower emissions.....and of course lower build costs. Thanks guys.... :x

Blasted Bean counters! No wonder they don't use the 'Ultimate Driving Machine' moniker any more. And the current 'Joy' one I just don't get at all..... :scratchhead: Mind you that may be because I used to have a 'Joy' working with me who was a complete nightmare! That word has unpleasant memories attached.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

GaryM

Post by GaryM » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:39 pm

[quote=""squeaky2""]That looks nasty and definitly shouldnt happen.......get an independant inspection as that looks more like damage on the bead in fitting the tyre......the tyre walls on these are very unforgiving and it looks like its been man handled.......that or a tyre problem.

What tyres are you fitting anyway? Just had 2 Bridgestone 315/elasticband/20 fitted for £289 each.

One of them was done on the tyre insurance as it had a puncture.

Had the tyre insurance for 6 months and have used it twice already......insurance was £300 for 3 years - covers 5 tyres a year

Its the problem with having an unrepairable tyre and living in london :([/quote]

Not used my tyre insurance as yet, only done 1000k but peace of mind if I do get a puncture with these expensive tyres, it is 5 tyres in total over the 3 years you are allowed not 5 per year though.