Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gears stuck today......help!

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Flog

Gears stuck today......help!

Post by Flog » Mon May 14, 2012 4:30 pm

Evening All
I was in London today and trying to squeeze the 5 into a paring space, thank god for he reverse camera - how good is that, anyway after literally 5 or 6 forwards, reverse, forwards.... I was half in the space when I could not get the box into Drive. I could just about get neutral or park but no way could I get drive. As I was running soooo late and I was three quarters in the space I decided to leave it there and the usual "sky box" thought process, turn it off and wait then turn it back on would clear it. Did my meeting , got back to the car and still no Drive, reverse and neutral again but no sign of drive.
After ten minutes I accepted defeat and called green flag.. With you within he hour, Sir.
Made a call back to work and as explaining my woes tried again and it kicked in to drive. Decided to get out of there and drove the two hours back west with no glitches or noises or anything. Stopped at Fleet services and went through all gears including the tip and all fine and dandy.
So, anyone experienced this, had I just hit a button that won't let you put in to drive ( new owner of two months so still finding new things weekly!) or should I get down he garage for a look, just scared that after what will be two hours of head scratching and a nice big bill, I'll get " no idea sir, bring it back if it happens again"
Thoughts please. Many thAnks.
X5 sd Msport 2008 - Black
996 C2S 911 - Black
Suzuki Jimny - Black (lane buster for the price to fill the X5!)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gears stuck today......help!

Post by X5Sport » Mon May 14, 2012 5:04 pm

First time I've heard of an E70 having an 'issue' with the 6-speed transmission. The earlier version in the E53 is well known as a problem area. It could be a selector controller issue like a dirty contact, fluid problem if too hot, or a box issue....... :scratchhead:

Although it's very unlikely to be anything to worry about, I would get it into a Dealer/Indy and get the fault codes read to see if anything shows up. It probably just had a tizzy fit about being 'shunted' into a space.....and yes those cameras are a Godsend - especially if like me you have the all around 'top view' system as well as the back end one... :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Flog

Re: Gears stuck today......help!

Post by Flog » Mon May 14, 2012 8:20 pm

Good call, now you mention it, it did smell tad hot. Thought it was the heaters or just getting hot under collar :headbang: I'll have a look at the fluid in the morning. hope you're right.
Thanks
X5 sd Msport 2008 - Black
996 C2S 911 - Black
Suzuki Jimny - Black (lane buster for the price to fill the X5!)