Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Does Battery Drain mean new battery?

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
DW35

Does Battery Drain mean new battery?

Post by DW35 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:04 pm

Having only picked up the car from BMW after major suspension failure, less than a week in the next fault has reared its head.

After using the car on Monday (for an hour journey each way), the car was parked up for 3 days...come Friday, it's started on the buzzer and drove it to the shops 10 mins away...after an hour shopping, when I got back into the car I noticed the car asked me to set the clock again which was a little strange...car started first time and I made my way home...

I unloaded the car for about 20 mins and then when I was about to set off again, the electronics were pretty much dead and the car would not tick over...not a good start to the long weekend away we were about to set off on...

Got the AA out and they started the car and tested the battery...everything seemed fine so with the car running, it was suggested I run it for 45 mins which was ok since I was about to go a 3 hour drive...

It was suggested the initial flat battery was due to the car draining whilst unloading the car...having been parked up for 4 days completely untouched, I thought it would be ok having been in sleep mode...just as I was about to checkout of our lodge, same thing, the car did not have the power to start...this time accompanied with 4x4, DTC and ABS failure messages...another call to the AA who again get the car started for me to make my journey home and the failure messages cleared up within a couple of mins...

When I got home, I needed to start the car 2 times which seemed ok...just earlier, we popped out for dinner and again car starts ok...hour later after dinner, key in...clock reset again...car starts ok...

I've googled and found alot of E70 battery drain issues but it's hard to see one route cause...i'm betting my usual short journeys definitely isn't helping!

I hooked the car up to a trickle charger and it reads 14.2-14.4v when the cars on and 12.2-12.4v when off...this is normal right? Could this still mean the battery needs replacing?

I've read BMW now fit AGM (?) batteries as they are better and more reliable...also could I expect a main dealer program / fit a battery I bought elsewhere?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Does Battery Drain mean new battery?

Post by X5Sport » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:18 pm

These cars draw serious power in standby (but next to nothing in 'sleep') with a current draw in 'radio ready' of 60A!!

AGM batteries are used because they are safer, and for no other reason.  No nasty corrosive liquids sloshing about eating holes in the bodywork!  They do not like being deep discharged, and are far less tolerant of abuse than the old 'wet' batteries.  The voltages you are seeing both on and off charge are fine - which is a good sign.  It may just need a full charge over 12 hours or so.

I would not be surprised if the Dealer had doors etc open and the car battery just went down.  They could have jumped it and then given it back without saying a word - wouldn't be the first dealer to pull that stunt!

Batteries on these cars are different as they are 'paired' to the car.  I don't know if this can be done other than with special kit.  I'm told this means the on board systems monitor the battery's ability to take and hold a charge.  Straight swaps are no longer as simple as they were (on say an E53).  Whether this also means you need a special battery too isn't clear.

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

DW35

Post by DW35 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks for the info.

It could be as you said with the dealers as the car was at there for almost 2 weeks whilst the suspension was being sorted.

I'll charge it overnight tonight and see what that does as according to the charger I have, when the car is off, it shows a next to 0 amp draw...hopefully that is all that it is as there was signs of this previously.

Should be fun trying to get the car up kerb and onto the drive...this is when I wish I had a garage!

DW35

Post by DW35 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:53 pm

Came back to the car last night to find the battery had dropped to just under 10v.

Put it on charge overnight and this morning it read 11.7v...not sure if this is because I had the charger on the wrong setting though...needless the say the car wouldn't start so i chose the correct setting this time and will check on it tonight.

The car is booked in for diagnosis this Friday and I'm hoping it's just the battery since once again, Leeds Audi have said they will cover it  :)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:17 pm

Sounds like a cell has gone bad.  A connected and fully discharged battery will give approx 10.5V

A fully charged battery (needs checking 4 hours after last charge) should be around 12.2-12.6V

New battery probably required by the sounds of things.  How old is the car/current battery?  6 years is the approx lifespan of a well treated battery.  If it's been deep discharged (yours has) then that lifespan gets steadily shorter!!

Richard

DW35

Post by DW35 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:48 pm

Ok, makes sense...probably a bad cell so it no longer holds it's charge...

I think it's the original that came with the car so it's approaching 5 years now.

I just want to be able to start the car...i feel bad calling the AA out for the 3rd time just to give me a boost so I can start it...although I guess that's what the memberships for!

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:56 pm

Newer BMW's have "Inteligent Charging", it monitors the charge rate and when you change the battery you have to take it to the dealers and get them to re initialise the module, telling it what sort of battery is installed IE Gell or Silver etc.  If you dont have it reset they say it may over charge the battery and cook it.
Knowing BMW this is probably a scaremongering ploy to get you ask them to supply the battery and re set the module, but read up on it first before you make a decision

EDIT The AA will only attend a few times as per your small print in the  contract. If you do not sort out the problem they will refuse to turn out, only fair really as people would not service their cars, and rely on roadside assistance every day !
Last edited by Horizon on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

DW35

Post by DW35 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:56 am

Yep I have heard the battery will need to be "paired" to the car...it's booked in at a local Sytner for tomorrow morning as the selling dealer (Sytner Audi) have said they will cover the cost on the battery...makes it easier as they invoice Audi direct :)

With regards to the AA, I called them last night, went through the scenario and they said its ok for me to call tomorrow morning to get someone out to give me a boost since the car does not start now.

DW35

Post by DW35 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:38 am

Just a quick update.  Car went into BMW yesterday after the AA kindly gave a boost for the 3rd time!

A new battery fitted as the old one wasn't holding its charge.

Grateful to Leeds Audi who covered what would have been a £414 bill  :)

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:09 am

Sounds like a good result on the battery  :)
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:06 am

£414.  :o.  It had better be made of more than lead for that!  Good result anyway.

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Re: Does Battery Drain mean new battery?

Post by Rusty » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:05 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
£414.  :o.  It had better be made of more than lead for that!  Good result anyway.
[/quote]
Probably not, what with the price for scrap nowadays.

That is one heck of a price. Was that just for the battery or diagnostics and labour too?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

DW35

Post by DW35 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:57 pm

Yep difnately a good result in the end.

£414 was broken down as £90 diagnosis and £324 to supply and fit the battery. I asked for a copy of the bill but they were not keen on giving me a copy with how much they charged Audi though...i have a feeling it was somewhat less!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Ouch!!  And yeah - probably 'mates rates' for in the trade!!

R