Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tailgate Courtesy lights - Can you turn them off?

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Black X5

Post by Black X5 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:08 am

As title, does anyone know if is it possible to turn of the upper tailgate courtesy lights when it is open?

I know you can turn off all the interior lights by long-pressing the main switch on the roof light, but it doesn't affect the tailgate interior lights.

Currently I have to resport to physically unplugging the 2 lights... not the most convient way!  >:(
E70 3.0D SE, Black with Black - Gone but not forgotten!  >:D

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Tailgate Courtesy lights - Can you turn them off?

Post by Rusty » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:20 am

Do the lights not 'time out' when the tailgate is open?
If so, would not fitting LED's lessen the impact of battery drain?
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

Black X5

Post by Black X5 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:55 am

Yes Rusty they do, but with the dire battery drain issues on the E70 the battery is already dangerously flat by the time this happens

Black X5

Post by Black X5 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:56 am

Tapatalk missed out half my post!

Thanks for the tip on LEDs may have to consider this if all else fails.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:20 pm

Fitted LED's to the E53 tailgate for this very reason
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:27 pm

Me too - I may put a switch in at some stage...

But if you go for the LEDs then get the one's that have loads of them in one bulb. Mine aren't that bright but james8whippy has super super bright ones. Just remember they do get rather hot though...
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:34 pm

Is it not the fact that opening the tailgate 'wakes' the car up which drains the battery? If so is there a way to have the tailgate open without alerting the car?  Could an in-line switch be installed between the tailgate micro-switch and the CPU?  Just thinking out loud here.  I know there is the alarm to consider (which could be overcome with the double press of the remote) but if the car thought the tailgate was shut, it would go to sleep and not drain the battery?

Any thoughts on that?
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.

Black X5

Post by Black X5 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks guys- LED lights seem the way forward I think.

Interesting about the inline switch. However I have never owned a car that drains it's battery so quickly. It's been into the stealers a couple of times for it, but each time they deep charge the battery and say it is fine.

We have had to adopt our driving style a little to compensate. E.g in the mornin dropping kids to school- it used to be a case of switching car off at each drop off, then start back up. Now we just leave it running with either me or Mrs BlackX5 in the car. Does seem to have helped. I have also got a CTEK on order so let's see.

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:03 pm

All I do if I'm leaving the boot open a long time I just click the latch shut on the upper tailgate, this turns the lights out, then to close just shut the bottom and then press the open button on the top before it touches the bottom one
current: 2016 Vw Crafter
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy
              1988 e30 325i convertible

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:08 pm

Certainly if mine is being used even more sparingly than usual then it gets plugged into the CTEK every couple of weeks or so as these things just use tremendous battery power doing nothing!!  I thought I read somewhere a while back that the alternator only runs at certain times in order to reduce drag (and therefore improve emissions) on the engine.  Maybe (if true) that needs looking at as electrical gremlins and low battery issues seem to a common theme and may point at the 'green agenda' idea actually being a problem in the real world of motoring!!

The E46 is done once a month in line with BMW's own recommendations to Dealers for cars in the showroom.

R
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Black X5

Post by Black X5 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:20 pm

[quote="shadrack"]
All I do if I'm leaving the boot open a long time I just click the latch shut on the upper tailgate, this turns the lights out, then to close just shut the bottom and then press the open button on the top before it touches the bottom one
[/quote]

I had thought of that, but knowing me I'd forget when shutting it- and I'm not sure the soft close motorised striker on the lower tailgate would take that too well!

Black X5

Post by Black X5 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:24 pm

I've come across that too X5Sport re alternator charging as and when required. Sure it compounds the problem as you said. Can't wait for the CTEK to arrive tho!

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:29 pm

Surely if the battery voltage is low, the alternator will kick in regardless.  Calling out the recovery service is hardly a 'green' option for either the environment or your health.... :blink:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:04 pm

You would think so......and certainly our Mini's 'Stop/Start' system stops functioning if the engine temps or AC are running - no mention of it for a 'low voltage' condition though ;)

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.