Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 trans fail safe message

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Townclarke

Post by Townclarke » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:25 pm

Have a 2003 x5 3.0 diesel sport M57 89k, regularly maintained by local BMW dealer. Over last few months the "trans fail safe message has been appearing and car slows and then comes to stand still, will then restart but unless the key is removed, error message still stays on. Interesting thing is that it has only occurred once or twice when I've driven car but does it frequently  when my wife drives it, usually after the first 2 to 3 miles, then ok.

After the first time the problem occurred the car was taken to the normal BMW dealer who cleared down the error message and said gearbox etc was all ok, probably an electrical issue that they could spend days looking for the problem and still not find it and "not to worry about it"

Problem is it's occurring on a regular basis and now the engine dies and the power steering is lost, not a comfortable feeling, especially if it happens to my wife.

The only logic I can apply to this is that i drive with the seat further back and the steering wheel rake lower than my wife, so these get changed when we alternate the driver ( not based automatically, by using different keys I might add ) . Read on some site, maybe this one, that this was a problem with  the wiring harness thro the steering column on pre 2001 models  but not on 2002 models onwards.

Also spoke with Richard at the Indy down in haslemere Surrey, who someone had recommended and without checking the car on a computer, couldn't really diagnose problem but thought it might be a faulty ignition switch. Problem is taking the car to Haslemere involves  a 350 mile round trip and an overnight stay.

Anyone have any ideas and/ or know of a good Indy in Norfolk or nearer to me?

wilkoturbo

Post by wilkoturbo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:50 pm

A lot on here have been battery and alternator issues I would check them first maybe ?
bmw x5 le mans blue

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: X5 trans fail safe message

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:31 pm

Not exactly close - but PCS in Bletchley.

If the battery is more the 5-6 years old then change it.  Yes it's £100 but solves a lot of issues.  A BMW Dealer will charge you £60 for a fault code reading - but it sounds like you have had one done already.

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Townclarke

Post by Townclarke » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks guys I am getting my brother in law who works for an auto electrical company to check out battery tomorrow, hope its the battery that's needs replacing which will be an ok result!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:41 pm

You have an E53 BTW - so you're scaring the E70 folks....... :)) :))  (They're a bit sensitive as their cars are newer!!)

:whistle: :P
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.