Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW refuse to sell part for rear light component

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
tommyt

BMW refuse to sell part for rear light component

Post by tommyt » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:04 am

Ok not sure where to start on this one!  >:(

I have a pair of rear inner LCI lights from a 2011 E70. These are original parts I sourced on the bay and they came without the tensioner clips or nuts required for fitting. I assumed this would not be an issue as BMW list the tensioner as a part that is available to order.

The part number listed on realoem / etk for a 2010> E70 rear light tensioner is: 63217046139

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=ZW42&mospid=52201&btnr=63_1221&hg=63&fg=20

So I double checked with the parts dept and ordered a pair. When they arrived I found they would not fit. In-fact part number 63217046139 is the same one listed for pre-LCI vehicle application and this is what was provided.  There is even a difference in the drawings on RealOEM between LCI & pre-LCI tensioners.

The local stealer were kind enough to order in a set of LCI lights to compare what the tensioner looks like. Indeed when the lights arrived the tensioner was completely different:

Part 63217046139 - listed for LCI but incorrect

Correct part, from the LCI light - part number listed incorrectly / unknown:

The stealers submitted an enquiry to Germany and I was called back a few hours later to be told that BMW are not yet selling this part separately as it is too new - even though they list it as an individual part! The only option I was given was to buy a complete set of new lights  :o

Do they really expect someone to pay £200+ for a complete light set when all that is needed is a part that will be worth no more than a few quid? It is even listed as a separate part, albeit incorrectly.

Now going to try a few breakers for the parts, but I can't believe that BMW can be so ridiculous!!!
Last edited by tommyt on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: BMW refuse to sell part for rear light component

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:27 am

BMW have some very strange policies about parts.  A few years back they would not allow you to buy a set of bumpers for an M Sport E46 if the original car they were being fitted to was not an 'M Sport' when built.

All this did was allow a black market of stolen parts to develop where parts were stolen off 'M Sport' cars - including a complete front bumper off our E46 - for fitting to cars where the Owners wanted to mod their own vehicles.  BMW would not even improve the security of the part fitting bolts etc, so it takes less than 5 minutes to steal the complete bumper........about the same as it does with the car key mess too.... :o

I suspect though that they may not be the only ones who insist that you buy the whole item rather than just the single part you need!!  It keeps the storage requirements for all the parts under more control - even if it is incredibly frustrating for owners with an issue such as yours. >:(

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

tommyt

Post by tommyt » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:41 am

The amazing thing is that the part is pictured and listed as available to order, only that the part number is not correct.

I spoke with BMW UK customer services and all they said they can do is talk to the dealer - they really have no dedicated dept to deal with such queries?!?!?

syg9m

Post by syg9m » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:11 pm

hi Ebay BMW direct as I ordered a part for my hydraulic bike lifts from them BMW dealer couldnt help , they have a contact details at the bottom of their page just contact !

tommyt

Post by tommyt » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:01 pm

Thanks for the tip.

Fortunately a breaker has replied and is just double checking the part for me.