Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E70 'problems'

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
petert

Re: E70 'problems'

Post by petert » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:06 am

... and forgot to mention: I asked the service guy about the oil change light coming on at 4500km left. He reckons it is normal. Hmm. Not sure - it wasn't like that on my previous (petrol) engines with iDrive but I have no other evidence to contradict him.

Peter T
2010 E70 35D vermilion red, beige leather, Sport, Technology and Executive packages plus running boards.

Jalf

Post by Jalf » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:09 am

[quote=""petert""]Jalf - feeling a bit thick this evening - can't read between the lines on what caused your 'engine malfunction, reduced power' warnings... I haven't had any warnings though the EMS amber light was on a few months ago before I had the recall work done on the DDE and air mass sensor.

Peter T[/quote]

To quote Han Solo;
[quote=""Han Solo""]She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.[/quote]
But in this case not past lightspeed and not that many or special, but a few :D
Once I got my BM dealer to confirm it wasn't the car or engine management system at fault I made a few adjustments/replacements and its been fine ever since.
:driving:

petert

Post by petert » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:57 pm

Yes - but what adjustments?!!!

Peter T
2010 E70 35D vermilion red, beige leather, Sport, Technology and Executive packages plus running boards.

Jalf

Post by Jalf » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:11 pm

ECU upgrades and tuning boxes, tried them on a few cars and I've had differing results, depends what you are looking for performance/ecomomy, mine is sitting in the sweet spot for both right now. :)

petert

Post by petert » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:07 pm

Ah - I see - thanks. I don't really have that option as the car is leased and I don't think they will take kindly to me modifying it. Will report back on what the dealer finds/fixes.

Petr T

petert

Post by petert » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:18 pm

OK - got the car back. They have changed the engine oil, refilled the exhaust fluid, performed what is described on the service sheet as 'ISID 6 diagnostic test and reset adaption'. The service technician says the car was ok when road tested. They ask me to drive it for a week or so to allow the engine/gearbox to build up an adaption history and get back to them if I still think it's not right. They also said they had reset several fault codes that could have contributed to the performance deficit and that there were coding issues that probably go back to when the car was coded last October.

The drive home from the dealer is only about 15km so it's a bit early to be definitive but initial impressions are that its better in terms of engine performance, but that gearchanges are not that much different. Economy seems aboyut the same but I'll be able to tell more after a full round-trip to work and back tomorrow. I'll update as my impressions develop over next few days.

Peter T

petert

Post by petert » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:20 am

Went back to the dealer today and did a back-to-back test drive - my car first then a brand new (150km on the clock) x35d. The cars were pretty much the same so I regretfully have to conclude that it's my perception of reduced performance, enhanced by the normal reduction caused by winter diesel. I'll keep an eye on it! The workshop supevisor (a brit as it happens) drove my car as well and thinks it's ok and boy did he give it a good thrutching.

He did detect an unrelated problem - the auxiliary water pump was cutting in and out very frequently - apparently there is a service bulletin about this. I also mentioned that the cruise control display behaviour is different and he said that is also the subject of a service bulletin. So, the car goes in next week to have these two issues fixed whilst I am away on business.

At the moment the OBC tells me about 23 us mpg (about 28 imperial mpg) Last summer I was getting around 26 us mpg (around 31mpg). The car is not driven hard. I used to get 980km an the range when brimmed, now it's usually below 900.

Roll on warmer weather, proper diesel and improved performance and economy!

Peter T

petert

Post by petert » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:24 pm

Got the cruise control behaviour back to normal and they tell me the auxiliary water pump issue is also fixed. Apparently there are service bulletins for both these issues so might be worth other E70 owners watching out for. Hope this helps someone.

Peter T

pr1964

Post by pr1964 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:55 pm

what on earth is exhaust fluid ???????

petert

Post by petert » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:59 pm

In some countries diesels have a system that injects 'exhaust fluid' into the exhaust gases (not sure where it happens relative to catalyst) but the fluid (urea based...) helps break down the fumes to less harmful gases. It's on the X5 diesel in Canada and I think the USA - not sure about other markets.
Peter T

pr1964

Post by pr1964 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:08 pm

ah haa i see.
thanks for the explanation.

petert

Post by petert » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:09 pm

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:58 pm

We don't have it in Europe on current models. Different fuel formulations perhaps?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

petert

Post by petert » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:43 am

Really not sure. Could be that, could be different emission requirements. I understand commercial diesels use it as well in (some parts of?) Europe.
Peter T

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:35 am

Could be. I think Europe's emission settings are more aimed around CO2 and particulates rather than NOx (as per the stringent California regs which require the anti-NOx system you have), hence newer diesels meeting EU5 (the latest version in use until 2014) need DPFs and Cats rather than just Cats. Perhaps with EU6 we'll get the Urea tanks too.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.