Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 e70 engine cuts out

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
X5 boy

X5 e70 engine cuts out

Post by X5 boy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi I have a x5 e70 3.0d it keeps cutting out intermittently mainly when you give it kickdown ,but then it will start right back up its not missing or underpowered or smoking I plugged it in to a diagnostic and it says injector 4,5,6 activation but I now that don't mean injectors are gone its like the stop buttons been pressed ,as anybody else experienced this problem would be most grateful for info thanks

X5 boy

Re: X5 e70 engine cuts out

Post by X5 boy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:52 pm

Sorted I took it to the dealers and they checked it out and no 5 injector had gone but not on the Deisel side but on the electric part that opens it that's why there was no nocking noise or smoking and now runs fine but the down side is it cost £730 ,injector £317 +vat diagnostics £97 and the rest labour so if it happens again I will sort it myself , but this message might help someone else if it happens so u don't have to go to main dealer at a cost of £90 for the first hour and £140 a hour after that ,rip off

IanP

Post by IanP » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:00 pm

£730 to change an injector  :))

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:04 pm

FFS......glad it's sorted, but that's an obscene price.  >:( :'( :o
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:25 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
FFS......glad it's sorted, but that's an obscene price.  >:( :'( :o
[/quote]

Obscene! To right the price is obscene and while main dealers are allowed to scare owners with exaggerated stories of horror from non franchised dealers then these prices will continue to be charged!  :rant:

On a Mercedes CLK, I had an intermittent ABS light.  Spoke to main dealer.  Oh yes, that's a faulty relay switch in the rear lights.  Couple of quid for the part.  Ok I said please change offending part........well a couple of hours later and £345 lighter the job was done.  I hadn't travelled a mile from the dealership when ABS light flashed on.  Needless to say I was on the phone instantly.  Dealer explained that this implied the fault was more serious.  Ok well I take it you will take the £345 of the final bill I asked....no, that was what he computer told us to do.

Moral of the story...main dealer mechanics are taught how to do mechanics dot to dot style.  Find an old school indy! I have.

Don

X5 boy

Post by X5 boy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:34 pm

I forgot to say it was mostly covered by rac warranty a good thing so it's only cost me £200 that's wot I meant when I said I will sort it out myself next time ,got the snap on diagnostic with injector programming software if I had to pay the total cost myself it would not be main dealer I can get injector refurbed £100 each and then time to fix it so its worked out ok , there is 3 months rac warranty left on my x5 I might renew when it's up if its not that pricey .