Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Poor Radio Reception

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Haywoon

Poor Radio Reception

Post by Haywoon » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:23 pm

Dont know if this is a known or common problem but will post in case it is of use to anyone.

Recently I have noticed really poor radio reception across all channels.  When the X5 isnt moving I can get a reception on most channels with a little static interference.  When moving pretty much all channels are so bad you cant listen to them and the radio doesn't seem to autotune to a better frequency.  I have the media pack on a 59 plate X5 so it has Nav etc but no audio upgrade I know of.

After much head scratching I've cracked it.  Its the bloody rear window defroster!  When on it completely knackers radio reception (CD is fine).

I believe the aerial is built into the rear window and the receiver / amp (thing) is in the rear quarter panel accesible via the passenger side "flap" in the boot.  Dont know quite how or why this is happening and to be honest, Im not that fussed about it now I know why - Its taken me two days to figure it out though and nearly a trip back to the dealer.

I may still ask them to look at it whilst it is still in warranty if I can be arsed.

Hopefully this will be of some use to someone in the future unless its a common issue and Ive searched incorrectly - the search function on this forum was my first port of call.

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Poor Radio Reception

Post by snipez999 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:35 pm

I had a free rear screen replacement on my 2010 model 40d for this very reason.  However it still did it from time to time afterwards, so it must be one of those free 'features' we get with BMWs!!

Current: Bentley Continental GTC V8S
Previous: Aston Martin DB9; X6 M50d; X6 40d; 535d M Sport; 330d M Sport