Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ticking Sound

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Ticking Sound

Post by Smeeagain » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:36 pm

My 2004 E53 3.0d Sport X5 has developed a tickign sound - it sounds lik a relay switch kicking in and out. When I am driving it sounds as thought it is coming from the passenger door. If i get out of the car and go round to the paessenger door I cant hear it manily due to the sound of the engine running or general outdoor background noise. At first I thought it was the door mirror but seems to be nearer the door pillar/lock or perhaps the elctirc windows (everything works fine) Often switichng the engine on and then off again sorts it and it goes away itself

Any ideas, folks ......?

Smee

phiggystardust

Re: Ticking Sound

Post by phiggystardust » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:39 pm

now that the temp has dropped could be the aux heater coming on , ticks on mine :D
2002 3.0d black sport auto, now with added mods!!!re-map,chrome clock rings, folding mirrors,wind deflectors,angel eye led hid's,19"sport wheels,reverse cam,ps2 media+hdd,dvd headrests,alpine v12 amp+sub,+alarm chirp !!!!

ITBarbie

Ticking Sound

Post by ITBarbie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:49 pm

I would agree this is perfectly normal as mine kicks in when cold :-) and it is a ticking noise. I queried it when I first had a winter with the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

bullethead

Post by bullethead » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:03 pm

Run..... its a bomb

robo

Post by robo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:39 pm

yep, aux heating its the small fuel pump lifting fuel up to the heater