Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bluefin By Superchips

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
shaz

Bluefin By Superchips

Post by shaz » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:48 am

Some of you may remember that I had been looking into a remap for a considerable while. And that I promised to write about it if I ever got around to biting the bullet and purchasing one. The only problem that, the x5 being in Pakistan, my choices were limited to a Bluefin switch or Evolve. I did contact a few other tuners but received no response, including Jason from BWChiptune. I looked into every possible aspect I could think of, as my main concern was that if anything should go wrong it would be a nightmare to put right as the local auto experts here don't have a clue as to what remaps are. In fact I was almost put off, almost I say. Eventually I decided on bluefin, Micheal Alvey-Anderson of superchips was most helpful and answered my many questions and doubts. I think he got quite fed up with me after a while, I know I would of. So finally I bit the bullet and bought one. With a 10% discount for being a member of the old site (even/after when it was down) the total cost was £400.

After a few weeks wait, the bluefin reached me ( couriered in person by friend as the import tax's would have been about £1000+, no wonder no one has heard of them over here!!) on Thursday 12 Aug. I got around to installing it yesterday ( friday). Not hard at all, the original x5 map is loaded into the bluefin hand monitor, via OBD port, from where it is sent to Superchips, via PC, and I was sent back the remap within 15 minutes and loaded it into the x5. The whole process took about 35-40 minutes and thats with receiving an error the first time I tried to load the remap. Micheal asked me to try again, which I did and Voila!! Remap installed. I must thank Superchips for a very efficient job, as I was concerned, the time when I sent them the original map was around 4.00 pm or so and I was worried that they would not get it back to me on the same day. I'd waited enough and could no longer bare to wait another weekend.

Took it for a spin. :driving: and all I can say is WOW! WOW! WOW!

Guys I can't tell you what a tremendous difference it has made to the drivability of the x5. I was happy with the performance and drive before but I now feel as if I've bought a new car. The x5 is so very much more smoother in the gears. It feels as if you have a limitless amount of power even at the top end of the rev range. It does feel a lot quicker but the most gains are felt in the effortless smoothness of the mid range. It feels as if another turbo has been put on. Last year in the U.K I drove the normal E70 3.0d back to back with a SD, and that would be a pretty good comparison to my X5 before and after the remap.

You know when you've spent money on something and even though its got a 14 day money back guarantee your opinion will still be biased. Well I have driver/ chauffeur here and he hasn't a clue on what I was up to. After my initial test drive, I gave him a test saying that I had earlier been reading fault codes ( had installed HID bulbs earlier and faced some minor problems), and even though he's never ever allowed to boot it, he too felt the difference straight away. And that was my litmus test.

I know its early days yet and I can't tell you how much difference it will make to the mpg or what long term effects it will have on the Turbo or gearbox or any other component for that matter or why if these gains are to be had why manufacturers don't install them in the first place. But what I can say for sure is the effect that its had on me and that is a big grin thats constantly stuck on my face when driving the x5.

Regards

Shaz

lezmtaylor

Re: Bluefin By Superchips

Post by lezmtaylor » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:15 am

Glad you are pleased, good write up.
Jason did my 4.4 the mid range is awesome.
Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks for the write up... glad you are pleased with it!

I think I will be getting my mid-range sorted by Jason too once I have some spare cash!

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

jason@bwchiptune

Post by jason@bwchiptune » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:23 am

shaz
i did email you back offering our unit for you to read and write the maps to your car?
its the same unit evolve use but they brand it under there own name
we have been using this unit for a good few years now

any way im glad you got it done in the end
PERFORMANCE TUNING REMAPS,DIAGNOSTICS,SERVICE & REPAIRS
TUNING DEALERS ACROSS THE UK
DYNO DYNAMICS ROLLING ROAD
http://www.bwchiptune.co.uk
http://www.bwautorepairs.co.uk

jason@bwchiptune

Post by jason@bwchiptune » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:29 am

thanks lez :)

turks when ever you are ready mate :)

shaz

Post by shaz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:14 am

Jason,

Didn't receive your mail/ reply mate. You were my first choice with all the reviews and work you've done for the guys here and the pricing too.

Really pleased with the remap tho. Thanks.

Regards,

shaz

jason@bwchiptune

Post by jason@bwchiptune » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:46 am

If anyone is interested we do our own tool like the bluefin but we custom make the tuned file from the read you take from your cars ecu viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1633

you will need to connect to your car,read the software and email it to us,we then make our mods to your software and email you the tuned file,you then write this file to your car
Last edited by jason@bwchiptune on Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaz

Post by shaz » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:08 pm

Hi guys & gals

Well it's been one year to the day since I had boudin remap installed and as previously promised, although it's been a while since I have contributed on here, here is a summary of my experience with the remap.

X5s done around 5000 miles, the consumption is about the same as it was without it. There have been no problems with turbo, gear box any other componant whatsoever (touch wood) and it still puts a grin on my face when I put my foot down. Recently I removed the blufin and drove it for a week or so in manufacturer form, it felt totally different and to be honest crap. Thanks

Regards

Shaz

phiggystardust

Post by phiggystardust » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:02 pm

Jason and all his boys do a great job changed my diesel into a different car
Spot on : )
2002 3.0d black sport auto, now with added mods!!!re-map,chrome clock rings, folding mirrors,wind deflectors,angel eye led hid's,19"sport wheels,reverse cam,ps2 media+hdd,dvd headrests,alpine v12 amp+sub,+alarm chirp !!!!

martin33100

Post by martin33100 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:09 pm

I know this is an old thread but it looks like the Bluefins are now £332.
http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/search?make= ... riant=1898

Lyons

Post by Lyons » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:45 am

Anyone else installed a Bluefin map? I had one on an old Mk5 Golf GTi but didn't know you could get them for BMW's too.

45hp gain is impressive.