Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

D or DS mode

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
PioneerSSM

D or DS mode

Post by PioneerSSM » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:09 pm

Hi all
Simple querie regarding the gear mode D & DS & M on my E70 (2010) 3.0 xdrive. There's an abundance of information on the web regarding this, little or nothing in the manual, resulting in more confusion than the brexit! should I stay in D or use only DS
BMW X5 The ultimate driving machine.

Except when you need a parking space!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: D or DS mode

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:03 pm

The differences are pretty much as you have suggested, although the suspension change only occurs on cars fitted with active suspension.

Throttle response changes and the gears are held until well up towards the red line.  Manual of course sets it to what you choose though it will change down for you if you forget when approaching a junction for example.

I have never noticed any improvement in mpg on any of mine when running in Sport so it's probably marginal, though perfectly possible.

The only thing I find 'M' useful for is to try to force a regen, and it's normally successful.  DS certainly makes them more lively  :D
Last edited by X5Sport on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

PioneerSSM

Post by PioneerSSM » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:58 pm

Thanks for the confirmation.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:20 pm

The only reason that I need to 'force' it is that tother half does a 3.5-mile nursery run in the colder weather, which doesn't give the engine or DPF a chance to get hot enough.  I just keep the car at around 2,000 rpm by using the right gear when travelling up to my RAF Reserves unit twice a week and then it works every time.

I now swap cars for a week once a month as my daily commute is 30-miles and there is usually a regen at some point during the week with no special 'manipulation' of the gears/engine revs.

PioneerSSM

Post by PioneerSSM » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:12 am

Regarding the regen, i've never really noticed it happening.
I would guess that the characteristics would be the same as most oil burners fitted with DPF technology I.E.
cooling fans running,
Increased idle speed
A slight increase in fuel consumption
A hot, acrid smell from the exhaust.
Engine note change.

I've never experienced any of these though, and as such, on my other oil burners I only ever got a warning light, and it was quickly rectified with a couple of miles at a higher rev.

I often only travel a 6 mile EW commute sometimes 4 days in a row, with no known occurrences of regen.

Cheers
Steve

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:47 am

Those are the right characteristics, the fans running at takeoff power are the usual giveaway.  It might be that yours hasn't run for a while?  Mine does its thing approx every 300 miles or so, but only if it gets hot enough.

A number of members gave found theirs aren't running either for some reason.  Short journeys is the usual root cause and after a while it has to be dealer 'forced', or if you have the Carly App and OBD2 module, you can trigger your own.
Last edited by X5Sport on Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.