Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BW Chiptune remap on my 3.0d

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
JimmySpeed

BW Chiptune remap on my 3.0d

Post by JimmySpeed » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:03 pm

I called Jason last night and decided to pull the trigger on a remap for my 2007 e70 ASAP after speaking to him. He is very knowledgeable and professional and you know your car is in good hands with him. I went to one of his agents' premises (Rick of Autotune in Telford) today and had it done.

What a transformation!!!! I opted for an emphasis on power over economy so Jason for the biggest power increase without MPG suffering, as opposed to a smaller increase and an MPG increase too.

The change in the way it drives is just incomparable to before. No longer does it take a second to think before it responds to the pedal press. No longer does it change up at stupid moments and leave you screaming "Why the F*** would I want to you to change up right now?". Power is available at every press of the pedal, no matter what. And it pulls and pulls much harder and for longer than before.

It simply drives the way you would want it to is the best way of putting it. The torque is impressive - coming home was much more fun than going there, put it that way. It is now a smooth and seamless process to transition from cruising to 'making progress' at silly speeds whereas before it would be a very messy feeling of cruise - pedal down - delay -flat spot - accelerate a bit - run out of puff.

Before the remap, I spent 50-60% of my time in DS because in D, the engine felt flat and unresponsive. In DS, it was livelier but thirstier and I don't like it holding the gears for as long as it does on every change. There was no happy medium.

With the remap, driving in D is just perfect. The engine labours less when pootling around this gives a smoother ride even at low speeds. General driveability is just much improved.

MPG wise, the computer averaged 34 on the way back but only 31 on the way there (and I did reset it whilst on the way there once it was warm as I didn't want the warm up pulling down the average). 31 is the best I have seen for any motorway journeys since I bought it. However I never trust these computers so I won't start believing any MPG improvements until I brim to brim it.

I am coming from a 4.6is with 343bhp and have had an e46 m3 and remapped 535d in the past and so I was not expecting to be impressed with a 3.0d X5 speed wise (that wasn't my priority when purchasing), but I must say I am very happy with it post-remap. I guess having driven a 4.6 for so long is the reason that I immediately felt that something was amiss with the E70 and had me seeking a remap so quickly. You don't need the fastest car to enjoy the experience of driving a good car. The power delivery and most importantly the smoothness is excellent and judged on its own merits, this is now alot of fun to drive.

I would like to say thank you to Jason for giving me the forum discount. Once I established that I have been a member here for a long time with a good few hundred posts he was more than happy to do it at the price which he has not increased for years. Even at full price it would be worth it though.

My advice to anyone who is able to remap their car is get it done. You will only own the car for so long and during that time you should make the most of it for as long as possible. With improvements like this it seems like a wasted opportunity if you don't!

martin33100

Re: BW Chiptune remap on my 3.0d

Post by martin33100 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:24 pm

I also have a E70 3.0d and when I get the time to put on my spare DPF that has no DPF blocks in it I will probably be going to Jason for our remap.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:25 pm

Nice write up!  :ok:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

JimmySpeed

Post by JimmySpeed » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:18 pm

It seems only right to report how impressed I am Sanj.

And after the school run the benefits of the remap in 'round town' driving are obvious - its a less exhausting drive and a smoother experience.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:19 pm

Gotta say I'm converted. Back when the new site started and we went to a couple of Meets I was the one telling them to all sod off with their remap bollocks. I was always concerned about the negative reports on what a remap could do to the cars...

Then one day I took the plunge with Jason promising me a complete revert back to norm if I didn't like it - and tbh the first drive on my E53 facelift soon proved how 'sublime' the drive was. The gear change was sooo much better and the cars urgency was so much better (yes part of the remap includes a sharper throttle response). Mine is 50/50 and it won't go back to norm.

Jason is no BS and all about knowledge and experience. If you don't like it, he'll most likely give you back your original map. He's 'pretty' good (otherwise his head will be bigger than it already is).

Can only imagine it's nuts on the E70 - let's see how quick he can get one out for the F15.

Don't knock it before you try it...
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

martin33100

Post by martin33100 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:00 pm

During my driving career I have had 9 of my cars/vans remapped and I have never been disapointed, they were all turbo diesel or turbo petrol.

JimmySpeed

Post by JimmySpeed » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:24 pm

[quote="martin33100"]
During my driving career I have had 9 of my cars/vans remapped and I have never been disapointed, they were all turbo diesel or turbo petrol.
[/quote]

Wow, not quite as many as you but I have had a fair few turbo d and petrol cars and a remap has always made a huge difference. I tend to not always bother with my n/a cars

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Reusch

Post by Reusch » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:40 am

I've had mine done approx 6-7 months now and not by Jason by a local chap and I'd like to compare mine to one Jason has done I've a funny feeling that's mines not great.
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

JimmySpeed

Post by JimmySpeed » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:30 am

[quote="Reusch"]
I've had mine done approx 6-7 months now and not by Jason by a local chap and I'd like to compare mine to one Jason has done I've a funny feeling that's mines not great.
[/quote]

Which car/engine? Where are you based?

kjb1

Post by kjb1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:47 am

[quote="Reusch"]
[/quote]

Its never going to go Like a completely different car.  Reality is, tuners all play with the same parameters etc , some more than others yes, but still its all in the same ball park, a few hp here and there. 

martin33100

Post by martin33100 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:55 am

[quote="mobilejo"]
[quote="martin33100"]
[/quote]

Wow, not quite as many as you but I have had a fair few turbo d and petrol cars and a remap has always made a huge difference. I tend to not always bother with my n/a cars

[/quote]You don't get the same gains with a n/a car, the only n/a car I did get mapped was my Westfield track car but that did have a Vauxhall XE on throttle bodies, cams, big valve head etc.
My mapped cars in order is:-
Series 1 RS turbo
Mk3 golf tdi
Audi S3
VW caddy tdi
Mk4 golf tdi
Leon Cupra R
VW T5
E46 320td compact sport
E91 325d

Our E70 is on the list to get done sometime in the future.

JimmySpeed

Post by JimmySpeed » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:04 pm

[quote="kjb1"]

[quote="Reusch"]
[/quote]

Its never going to go Like a completely different car.  Reality is, tuners all play with the same parameters etc , some more than others yes, but still its all in the same ball park, a few hp here and there.
[/quote]

I got the feeling he meant that driveability wasn't great, but yes if he just means it doesn't seem powerful enough then I agree there is only so much a map can do.

If he means driveability, then I've seen some shocking remaps in my time on all manner of cars. Heck, I've had a few myself in my Cupra days. (3 remaps on the same car!)

My bro in law currently has an Audi 1.9tdi which he bought remapped and the map is terrible - its quicker yes, but it drives really badly with odd flat spots all over the rev range and terrible MPG.

JimmySpeed

Post by JimmySpeed » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:12 pm

[quote="martin33100"]
[quote="mobilejo"]
[quote="martin33100"]
[/quote]

[/quote]You don't get the same gains with a n/a car, the only n/a car I did get mapped was my Westfield track car but that did have a Vauxhall XE on throttle bodies, cams, big valve head etc.
My mapped cars in order is:-
Series 1 RS turbo
Mk3 golf tdi
Audi S3
VW caddy tdi
Mk4 golf tdi
Leon Cupra R
VW T5
E46 320td compact sport
E91 325d

Our E70 is on the list to get done sometime in the future.
[/quote]

Thats alot of remaps!

My 330ci was the only n/a car I did. Was noticeable but barely. It was a sweet engine to begin with anyway.

I had my Lean Cupra done 3 times, eventually settling on REVO with the SPS switch to adjust boost and timing. Loved that feature.

I also had my e90 320d and e60 535d done, was pleased on both occasions.

You must have the philosophy as me - if its got a turbo on it, it should be remapped!  :))

kjb1

Post by kjb1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:19 pm

[quote="mobilejo"]
[quote="kjb1"]

[quote="Reusch"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I got the feeling he meant that driveability wasn't great, but yes if he just means it doesn't seem powerful enough then I agree there is only so much a map can do.

If he means driveability, then I've seen some shocking remaps in my time on all manner of cars. Heck, I've had a few myself in my Cupra days. (3 remaps on the same car!)

My bro in law currently has an Audi 1.9tdi which he bought remapped and the map is terrible - its quicker yes, but it drives really badly with odd flat spots all over the rev range and terrible MPG.
[/quote]

That could be anything regarding your brothers car, sensors, maf, injectors, fuel pump, filter etc, o2, numerous things could be playing up.  Wouldn't instantly assume duff map.

JimmySpeed

Post by JimmySpeed » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:24 pm

[quote="kjb1"]

That could be anything regarding your brothers car, sensors, maf, injectors, fuel pump, filter etc, o2, numerous things could be playing up.  Wouldn't instantly assume duff map.
[/quote]

It wasn't his original assumption, but it is his mechanic's diagnosis having tried the usual suspects. Having driven 'duff map' cars before myself I can't say I disagree.

The problem is he doesn't know who did the original remap and he's sort of lost interest in getting it rectified now.