Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Light weight spare on X3

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
Kerdual

Light weight spare on X3

Post by Kerdual » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:58 pm

Recently brought a 2004 X3 3.0i Auto sport with only 39000 confirmed mileage. Very pleased so far but have query over  emergency spare stored under the rear. The car tyres, which I presume are as original are 18 inch, but the light weight spare is only 17 inch. Having read a lot of buff on the importance of the right tyre and consistency around surprised that the spare is smaller. If I understand the guidance correctly this could damage the transmission. Any others have similar? Any views or obs appreciated. :(

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Light weight spare on X3

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:29 pm

Very common.  The E53 Sport had 19" or 20" normals with a 17" spare which was speed limited.  It is the outer diameter that is key.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Kerdual

Re: Light weight spare on X3

Post by Kerdual » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:45 pm

Thanks for the confirmation, as you suggested the size of the tyre has more depth so the overall size looks close to 18 inch.
I am pleased I have a spare rather than the inflation kit, but it's a great shame that the carrier is not waterproof. The spare suffers from water exposure and could do with a waterproof cover inside the carrier.