Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Beware Apple IOS 4.3!!

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Beware Apple IOS 4.3!!

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:20 pm

Whilst the majority may be either unaffected, or uninterested, there are enough reports around the web to indicate that an automatic update to IOS 4.3 for both the iPad and iPhone may not be as smooth as perhaps it ought to be. The iPad seems to go without a hitch, but the iPhone not so. My iPhone4 is now an expensive brick and none of the fixes on the web offered so far seem to work. Apple are remaining ever silent as usual. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

In my case I have seen Unexpected Error 9, 1013, 3014, 3294 at various points today. I have disbabled the firewall, removed the anti-virus package completely, opened ports 80 and 443 and all to no avail. The update does upgrade the software and verifies that OK, but then hangs on the firmware for several minutes until a crash. I have tried three PC's with three different OS's installed, again to no avail. The phone is locked into recovery mode anhd will neither downgrade back to 4.2.1 or upgrade to 4.3. I will be paying my local Apple Store a wee visit tomorrow and asking them to de-brick it on the advice of my phone provider. :cry:

So for those of us out there with iPhones, you may want to hold off a wee while. ;)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

ITBarbie

Beware Apple IOS 4.3!!

Post by ITBarbie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:44 pm

Hi

That's interesting. Can I ask does this go for the iPhone 3 as well? Just to be clear it's not the 3GS just the 3.

I ask as not sure of the release of the upgrade but I checked for updates approx 4 days ago but it didn't offer this upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Beware Apple IOS 4.3!!

Post by pvr » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:51 pm

Penny, had you already upgraded to IOS 4?
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

ITBarbie

Beware Apple IOS 4.3!!

Post by ITBarbie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:00 pm

Yes but I dont believe it's 4.3?

I'm due an upgrade in July but am holding out for the 5 but there is so much speculation and not enough confirmation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

Jalf

Post by Jalf » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:34 pm

Updated my iphone (4) as soon as it was out, had no problems at all, and AirPlay from my computer is amazing, might be a windows thing? :?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:51 pm

IOS 4.3 does not support the iPhone3. Apple have made the decision not to provide an update for it. IOS 4.3 only supports the 3GS, 4 and iPad 1 & 1.5 (sorry, facelifted V1 aka iPad2). The majority of users will have no problem at all. After all, all of the previous updates I have done have gone without a hitch.

I have this evening spoken to my phone provider and the advice I got was don't do any further updates (we have two more devices that still need doing) and for me to call a free phone number that Apple have now set up to help people like me who have now got a mildly attractive slim line brick! The problems occur on all OS's and I'm guessing here, but perhaps Apple may be working on IOS 4.3.1. :poke:

Problems have been reported with firewalls, anti-virus, hosts files, USB Configs, wrong errors about hard drive capacity being too low and the IOS baseband updates on both MacOS and Windows OS.

petert

Post by petert » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:37 pm

Updated my daughters ipod touch 4th gen to 4.3 - seems ok at the moment. Had to uninstall and reinstall itunes but that may be due to how I've set up the storage locations - error message about not being able to back up the ipod. All sorted now.
Peter T
2010 E70 35D vermilion red, beige leather, Sport, Technology and Executive packages plus running boards.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:45 pm

My iPhone4 is now back in action courtesy of the Apple Store in MK. The issue appears to be caused by so many people around the world updating that the authentication servers can't cope! If it goes through without a hitch then you're fine. If it loses the authentication server during upgrade then oh dear. The advice I got this morning was not to do any more upgrades until at least a week after the iPad2 launches on the 25th March.

Alternatively do it early in the morning before the USA is awake.. :D
Last edited by X5Sport on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevox5

Post by stevox5 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:41 pm

I updated my iPad this afternoon before seeing this post , all went ok fortunately :roll:
X5 3.0i Topaz Blue , Paddle shift steering wheel , Pioneer double din sat nav,Alpine speaker upgrade,  Remap, HID's,20inch lemans alloys,lemans arch kit,Depo light kit,carbon fiber interior wrap.
1989 BMW 325i SPORT E30 Fully equiped summer toy.

ianmaney

Beware Apple IOS 4.3!!

Post by ianmaney » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:40 am

I spoke to a guy from Orange the other day and he confirmed a July release date for the iPhone 5, also confirmed it has the front of the iPhone 4 and the back casing is stainless steel much like the iPhone 3GS apparently they have seen it and played with it etc (no comments please) lol
Current Cars:

X5 06 3.0d Sport (His)
1 Series 116 SE (Hers)

Current Bikes:

GSX-R1000k6 (His)
2010 Suzuki Gladius (Hers)

StumpyPete

Post by StumpyPete » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:24 am

Updated my 3GS this morning and all went swimmingly. Took 10 mins start to finish after downloading.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:18 pm

I think I was just unlucky and picked the wrong time of day. The Apple Store were having trouble themselves and a fair few had been through their doors looking for help. If it does fail then it has to have a 'ground up' recovery which wipes the data and you cannot restore from an existing backup, or roll back to a previous IOS version. I had to create a new Account and recover and re-synch. Not lost anything though. :D

macca916

Post by macca916 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:24 pm

The upgrade on my 3GS appeared to go ok but it would no longer sync with Itunes afterwards. Ended up with a full reset (via phone) and restore via Itunes to get synch working again. Was slighlty worried that the restore wasnt going to remember app settings but all the ones I use came back ok and the only thing it appeared to forget was its access pin code (requiring a new one to be set up).
X6 XDrive35D

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:53 pm

........and strangely enough IOS 4.3.1 should be with us in a week or too with some minor fixes. Hmmmm :P I suppose that's as near as we'll get to an admission of an issue in 4.3, even if it was to do with the verification servers.

acideraser

Post by acideraser » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:11 pm

there are also reports of decreased battery life after 4.3 update, still on 4.2 until this is fixed
------------------------------------
2011 X5 xDrive30d SE Platinum Grey 20" 336 alloys