Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

'Search' feature on this site

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
warsi

Post by warsi » Mon May 09, 2011 1:06 pm

Hi All,

First and foremost, thank you admins for providing us this platform - I have a small issue with 'Search' within this site. Most of the time, before posting a new question I try to search answers but the search feature gives all kinds of irrelevant results, for example if I'm looking to see any discussion on 'brake fluid' then I can't see any way to search for these two words as a phrase, instead even +brake +fluid will give me all posts/topics with either of these two words in them.

Is there any way to search for phrases to ensure only post/topics are returned where all words exactly match (irrespective of casing of course).
2002 325i Sport Black/Beige
1998 318iS Black/Beige

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: 'Search' feature on this site

Post by Sanj » Mon May 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi warsi,

Try this:

*brake fluid*

You will get both words together but you will also get them seperate - should help make things easier though.

Thanks goes to pvr - he told me! ;)
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

warsi

Post by warsi » Mon May 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Thanks Sanj,

but it doesn't quite work for me - tried *arm bushes* as well as +*arm bushes* and the first post that comes back is this (http://www.xdrivers.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... %2A#p20683) which only contains word "charm" and not arm or bushes or arm bushes.
1998 318iS Black/Beige

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon May 09, 2011 1:58 pm

That's weird - I put in 'arm bushes' or *arm bushes* and get the right search return, albeit not many for arm... :scratchhead:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

warsi

Post by warsi » Mon May 09, 2011 4:41 pm

Done that again and only results with both words in are from this thread :)
Also bring back wildcard results like 'charm' probably due to *arm.

At least it's better than before :D
1998 318iS Black/Beige

ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Mon May 09, 2011 10:03 pm

I tried if and it was fine for me as I got this thread and others. Very strange :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

Ant

Post by Ant » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:42 pm

I am trying to search for 4.6iS angel eyes, as i dont want to create a post that has already been answered, but everytime the search engine ignores the '4' and just searches for 6iS. Why cant I search for 4.6iS ??
E30 320i
E36 325i Coupe
E46 330i SE
Now an E53 4.6iS