Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gallery?

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
as400

Gallery?

Post by as400 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Is there a gallery section to this forum so members can show their standard and modified X's?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gallery?

Post by X5Sport » Tue May 10, 2011 9:47 pm

Not yet.........no doubt an Admin will be along soon to tell us why nkt. And it's perfectly possible you are the first to ask. I must admit to never having thought about it because I'm so used to seeing it in the Newbies thread whenever anyone joins. It could be called 'Show us yours.......'. :D

It does kind of make sense to have a gallery though.......just make sure you remove /obscure number plates etc.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Wed May 11, 2011 4:22 pm

[quote=""X5Sport""]Not yet.........no doubt an Admin will be along soon to tell us why nkt. And it's perfectly possible you are the first to ask. I must admit to never having thought about it because I'm so used to seeing it in the Newbies thread whenever anyone joins. It could be called 'Show us yours.......'. :D

It does kind of make sense to have a gallery though.......just make sure you remove /obscure number plates etc.[/quote]

Why do guys do this. Your registration is visible to everyone all the time the car is in use anyway. I've read it prevents cloning but i don't see how if your car is on the road frequently. Dealers never blank out their used car registration plates either.

It's always bemused me why the black tape comes out, like in Readers Wives mags :)

ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Wed May 11, 2011 4:42 pm

I always wondred why as well but of course maybe not having read Readers Wives I wouldnt have a clue what your talking about :rofl:
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed May 11, 2011 5:06 pm

I know what you're saying but for me a pic 'looks' nicer with the plate blanked. No biggie though...
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Wed May 11, 2011 6:39 pm

... or in your case Sanj with the owner invisible :D

The gallery has been discussed before, and the current forum software does not have it in there. So far, individual threads of what people have done / are doing are in the respective discussion areas. Raj's thread is an example of that one.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu May 12, 2011 8:32 am

Blanking out number plates on the web by private individuals is supposed to make it more difficult to clone, and possibly make tracing a vehicle type by thieves looking for a particular model harder - not unfortunately impossible though. I suggest it as a sensible precaution and have seen the same advice offered by serving Police Officers on other forums too. Whether it works is moot. Some say it works, others with some validity say it doesn't, but for the sake if 5 minutes work..........identity theft is a growing business after all.

Having been a Fleet Technical Manager and had to deal with cloning of a number of cars that in some cases had only been driven 60 miles for delivery to our storage compound, I know how incredibly time consuming it is to sort offences committed by someone using that plate can be. The burden of proof is on the real Owner and believe me it is a 'burden'. The Authorities really don't believe the victim at all in many cases and it used to take me as much as a day to sort each one out.

We have a car salvage auction site near here and most cars arriving and leaving on trucks have their plates obscured now.

Dealers may leave the Reg showing as it allows prospective buyers a chance to carry out their own checks on a vehicle before going to see it perhaps? It's amazing how much detail you can find just from a plate as the DVLA are a little too willing to let anyone have the data for a few quid with no real checks on why it is needed.

My own cars are not on the road very much and around here are rare too. In my case there's a certain amount of doing it instinctively because a previous job I did.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

as400

Post by as400 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:58 am

[quote=""X5Sport""]Blanking out number plates on the web by private individuals is supposed to make it more difficult to clone, and possibly make tracing a vehicle type by thieves looking for a particular model harder.[/quote]

Crikey, hope they havn't heard of the Autotrader website!