Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Forum upgrade

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Forum upgrade

Post by Rusty » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:12 pm

No it's not :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

petert

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by petert » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:39 pm

Is there a facility to get straight to 'last unread post' in a particular topic?  I see the 'last post' button but I find the 'last unread post' one more useful in that it lets you catch up with all the posts since you last looked at that thread.
Peter T
2010 E70 35D vermilion red, beige leather, Sport, Technology and Executive packages plus running boards.

sp3ctre
Administrator
Administrator

Forum upgrade

Post by sp3ctre » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:48 pm

[quote="petert"]
Is there a facility to get straight to 'last unread post' in a particular topic?  I see the 'last post' button but I find the 'last unread post' one more useful in that it lets you catch up with all the posts since you last looked at that thread.
Peter T
[/quote]

Yup, the "new" icon does that :)

petert

Post by petert » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:38 pm

I promise I'm not actually dim but I need a bit more information.  I've clicked on the little orange 'new' icon but that just takes me to the first post in the thread.  I'm looking for something to take me to the first post in the thread unread by me.
I've the feeling I'm missing something but not sure what!
Peter T
2010 E70 35D vermilion red, beige leather, Sport, Technology and Executive packages plus running boards.

petert

Post by petert » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:41 pm

Hang on - I take it all back - the orange 'new' icon does what I want and I now find that I am dim after all!
Peter T

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Forum upgrade

Post by Rusty » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:22 pm

[quote="petert"]
Hang on - I take it all back - the orange 'new' icon does what I want and I now find that I am dim after all!
Peter T
[/quote]
For those of us on Trash4all, who does and doesn't get the smilies etc, or am i the only one who doesn't?

I wish the layout was a little more like the main forum with sigs etc too.
Am I right I'm thinking that the iPad hd version has these options? Is it worth the upgrade?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Is there a 'drafts' capability in the PM system?

I also noticed all my PMs ever sent and received reappeared.  Could be taking up some space if everyone had the same thing, or perhaps my 'housekeeping' didn't do what I thought it would.... :(. Sorted now though.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sp3ctre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:00 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Is there a 'drafts' capability in the PM system?

I also noticed all my PMs ever sent and received reappeared.  Could be taking up some space if everyone had the same thing, or perhaps my 'housekeeping' didn't do what I thought it would.... :(. Sorted now though.
[/quote]

Hi,

No, there isn't a drafts feature in the SMF software... not sure why your messages re-appeared though, but don't worry about the space, textual content takes up very little  :)

Cheers,

Jim

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Cheers Jim, have to think, write and send in one go then.......

Richard

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:55 pm

My Sent PM's was the same - got all of them back, even the rude ones! :))

Now all deleted!
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

n1k85

Post by n1k85 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:59 pm

I really can't get on with this new forum :(

It seems to take a lot more effort to use than the previous one and it's a little bit 'all over the place'.

I appreciate how much work has probably gone into it, and I wish I could say I preferred the upgrade, but for me the old forum was perfect and just seemed neater in general. The old colour scheme was better too IMO.

It's kind of put me off coming here as regularly as I was a few months back :(
2004 Silver 3.0D Sport Auto - 20" Le Mans Rims, Gen 4 Hualingan DVD/BT/iPod/SD/Nav Headunit, E70 Rear Wiper Conversion, Front Bosch Aero Flatblades

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:06 pm

[quote="n1k85"]
I really can't get on with this new forum :(

It seems to take a lot more effort to use than the previous one and it's a little bit 'all over the place'.

I appreciate how much work has probably gone into it, and I wish I could say I preferred the upgrade, but for me the old forum was perfect and just seemed neater in general. The old colour scheme was better too IMO.

It's kind of put me off coming here as regularly as I was a few months back :(
[/quote]

I sort of agree but then I don't suppose anybody is missing me!
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:30 am

I agree 535dboy, I do love this forum and will keep visiting - the header of the new forum is very up to date and its all very nice etc, but like you say, the old one was simpler, easier to use and access........so I find I don't visit as frequently as before either. And I think when I do, I see less posts and less traffic than before so maybe more people feel the same way as we do.
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:30 am

It is just too fussy.

For those that spend loads of time on it probably pick it up ok but for those ducker and divers it is just too much to adjust to!
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:37 am

I probably qualify as one of these..... :))

And yes it is harder to use, well maybe less intuitive, but I am slowly getting used to it.  I have definitely noticed the use rate seems to have fallen off though.  It used to be very active at any time of day, now it seems much more limited.

I don't know what the answer is as the old version had security issues I think, mainly to do with spammers etc, and it was harder to implement features according to Jim.
Last edited by X5Sport on Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.