Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW X5 E70 (LCI) - Splitting the boot space with an additional parcel shelf

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
mc1

BMW X5 E70 (LCI) - Splitting the boot space with an additional parcel shelf

Post by mc1 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:33 am

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of trying to mod the boot space on their X5 to incorporate an additional parcel shelf.  I would like to be able install a solid parcel shelf below the to tonneau cover.  The reason for this is that the X5 has a rather large boot space and I feel I am not using it efficiently as I have to sacrifice it whenever I put my dog in the back of the car.  My dog is a French Bulldog which is quite small and it strikes me that I could make more efficient use of the boot space if I could split it with a shelf thereby enabling me to stow luggage below the shelf and my dog could sit on the shelf but still have plenty of space (obviously I would still use a dog guard to prevent the dog from entering the main cabin).

The most logical comparison I could make in terms of what I would like to achieve would be that of the Honda CRV.

Does anyone have any experience of this that can be shared (how to create a pattern for the shelf, mounting points, fixings etc.) or does anyone know of anywhere where such a part can be ordered?

If anyone could relay any experience they have in this respect it would be much appreciated

ImageImage

Reusch

Re: BMW X5 E70 (LCI) - Splitting the boot space with an additional parcel shelf

Post by Reusch » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:35 pm

Hi and welcome are you still going to put your dog in the boot when you 'split it' or am I reading it wrong.
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

mc1

Re: BMW X5 E70 (LCI) - Splitting the boot space with an additional parcel shelf

Post by mc1 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi - you are correct.  I still intend to put the dog in the boot but she would sit on the shelf and luggage would then be stowed under the shelf.  The tonneau cover would remain open in this configuration (or be removed whilst the dog was in the boot).  So, the dog would still be able to see out of the windows and see what is going on in the main cabin etc but she would just be elevated from what is currently the normal travelling position.

Hope that makes sense.
Last edited by mc1 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.