Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Crank shaft pulley failure

Discuss the problems with your X6 (E71).
baja1969

Crank shaft pulley failure

Post by baja1969 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:52 pm

Pulled away from a set of lights earlier today, and bang no power steering charge alternator light on :( pulled right over popped the bonnet drive belt still in place but not turning stopped the engine, another bang and the bottom pulls is no longer part of the engine.

First question at 38000 miles is this a common thing and secondly how easy a fix is it :(

Only had the car two weeks and already had DPF issues.

Forgot to mention our car is an X6 40d xdrive

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Crank shaft pulley failure

Post by X5Sport » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:53 pm

First :hi:

Second is no it's not common at all.

DPFs are catching more and more people out.  Short journeys are absolute killers as the system never warms up.  Needs a regular 20 minute run (after warm up) at a speed above 40mph/2,000rpm to run a regen.  Mine cycles quite regularly judging from the fan activity (stops fires in the engine bay!!) occasionally when switching off.
Last edited by X5Sport on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

baja1969

Post by baja1969 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:08 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
First :hi:

Second is no it's not common at all.

DPFs are catching more and more people out.  Short journeys are absolute killers as the system never warms up.  Needs a regular 20 minute run (after warm up) at a speed above 40mph/2,000rpm to run a regen.  Mine cycles quite regularly judging from the fan activity (stops fires in the engine bay!!) occasionally when switching off.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply pal, new crank shaft pulley fitted and its transformed the car, sound like a smooth engine now.

When you say fan activity I take it that the fan should run quite a bit when it's doing a regen, next plan it to get the DPF off and remap :)

petert

Post by petert » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:39 pm

I seem to remember that there was a vehicle recall on my (Canadian) 2010 X5 on the crank shaft pulley...
I'll see if I can find my original post on this - not that its much help to you now but it may help others
Peter T
2010 E70 35D vermilion red, beige leather, Sport, Technology and Executive packages plus running boards.

petert

Post by petert » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:11 pm

[quote="petert"]
I seem to remember that there was a vehicle recall on my (Canadian) 2010 X5 on the crank shaft pulley...
I'll see if I can find my original post on this - not that its much help to you now but it may help others
Peter T
[/quote]

Not too helpful - sorry...
2010 E70 35D vermilion red, beige leather, Sport, Technology and Executive packages plus running boards.

baja1969

Post by baja1969 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:23 pm

Quick update, new pulley assembly fitted, I looked at the rubber on the old one and it had simply given up the ghost, it was rock hard and brittle so could have let go at any time, car feel and drives100% better now, however the DPF is still giving issues so it off to the garage to get sorted on Thursday.

Hope this is the last of the troubles with the car.

kkx5

Post by kkx5 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:49 am

Its e71...its just the beginning  ;)

strummer

Post by strummer » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:15 am

cant you have the innards of the DPF removed and then the engine remapped?The idea is the DPF casing remains for the visual inspection on the mot

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:33 am

Yes you can, but given the rules are likely to be toughened up considerably it's probably in light of the VW scandal not a sensible choice because:

It's illegal.
You have to tell your insurers.
Your car would then no longer be type approved and therefore illegal to use on the road.
You have to declare it when you sell it.
The buyer then has all the same problems as you.

The second one is the one that has the greatest impact.  If by shear bad luck the worst should happen (even if not our fault) and the truth is found, your insurer will walk away from you leaving you personally liable for all the costs both now and in the future.  May have a low likelihood but the impact is not one I would take easily.

Your choice.....
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.