Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Top view camera malfunction

Discuss the problems with your X6 (E71).
Nictrix

Top view camera malfunction

Post by Nictrix » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:09 pm

So yesterday a fault appeared on the screen, top view camera malfunction.
Basically the passenger mirror camera is showing a blue screen.
This does not happen all the time and seems to only not work after the car has been driven.
Jump in the car from cold and the cameras all work as normal with no errors, drive for a bit and when parking the passenger mirror camera shows an error.
Not sure what to do with this. Doubt if the 3rd party warranty will cover anything like this and there doesnt seem to be a lot of info on the net about checking/repairing these if they go wrong.
Dont really want to take the mirror apart after reading how much the mirror glass costs and the possibility of it breaking while removing even if that lets you in to the camera connections to check for problems.
Any ideas?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Top view camera malfunction

Post by X5Sport » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:26 pm

Most likely a wiring fault so you'll need to get into the mirror housing and then trace it back.  I have never taken one apart, sorry.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Nictrix

Post by Nictrix » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:01 pm

Its a bit annoying as the picture is crystal clear when the car is turned on at first.
After a 2 minute drive the camera is just a blue screen.
I am thinking it can only be something to do with temperature and possibly linked to the heated mirrors and that is why it is ok when the car is cold.
Whatever it is it doesnt look easy to get into and as I said there doesnt seem to be a lot of info around on the cameras for any model.
Its amazing how you get used to having something and dont realise how much you use it until its not working.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:36 pm

Realoem shows the camera control module as being behind the front passenger footwell side trim.  Might be worth a look at it.  It might be possible to swap the left/right camera feeds over.  That would at least tell you if it is a module issue or camera issue.  No idea if the connectors are 'handed' as there are three inputs (left/right/reverse), or five if you have side view as well.

Getting into the unit looks to be a case of moving the mirro angle inboard as far as it will go and then apply force evenly as near the centre of the mirror as possible to get it to unclip.  That then should let you into the rest of the housing.  This is based on what I can see for other modern X cars, and must be at your own risk.
Last edited by X5Sport on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Nictrix

Post by Nictrix » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:16 pm

Thanks for that. Good idea swapping the camera leads around.
More annoyingly tonight it is fine.
It had a pretty major wash last weekend and I was thinking that water had possibly gotten in somewhere it shouldnt have but with it being intermittant its quite confusing.
I think for the moment I will avoid the mirror area with large amounts of water and see if the fault comes back.